Deep stops and ascents...

Deep and Safety Stops...

• What's a deep stop? What's a safety stop?

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I follow my Divemaster.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I only do a 3-5 minute safety stop.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I always make a one minute stop at half of my deepest depth and then do a 3-5 minute safety stop.

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • I follow another protocol. (please post it!)

Votes: 46 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How many recreational divers practice this? Was this covered in your Open Water class at all?

I generally do a 1/2 depth stop (on NDL dives) when I go deeper than 90 FSW for 1-2 minutes.

No this was not covered in any class. I would have to say that I learned about it here on ScubaBoard.

I do. And no it was not covered in my OW class.

DAN has finally woken up to deep stops and presented their findings at the diver's workshop held in Denver last weekend.

However, their research came up with a 2.5 minute stop at half your depth on ascent as the ideal stop time.

Roak

Ps. I practice it on recreational dives...

I do too Pete but only in a square profile dive. If we are coming back up a slope or slowly up a wall I might forgo it for just a slow ascent.

Twas not ever mentioned in my PADI OW class (1999)nor any class since then. I started doing deep stops 4 years ago after reading about them because they make sense to me.

I try and Split the 15ft and max depth for a minute or two then slowly preceed to
18- 20' and hang there 3 min......(students & Newbie's are always @ 15')

What's amazingly scary: The last two fun dives I did, on Dive boats where I was only with my buddy not knowing the boat crew. WE, my buddy and I, were the only ones who did any kind of Safety Stop, and we were diving 70' + and 60'+. Everyone claimed to be seasoned divers on the boat....no first timers....but even after we mentioned it after the first dive, No one stopped, or slowed down the second dive....WAY TO FAST, ASCENTS with NO SAFETY STOPS

My buddies and I do the pause at 75% max depth, pause at every 10ft until 50% then, 1 minute stops every 10ft thing. This practice is taught to all the recreational divers by the crew I get my instruction from.

My open water classes taught the standard "3-5 at 15ft" thing.

I think you are gonna find all the so called "DIR" dives practice this. And from what I hear, there are many many DIR divers who are not technical divers.

Back
Top Bottom