Have you ever learned or done analyzing your air? (no nitrox, not against CO)

Have you ever learned or done analyzing your air? (no nitrox, not against CO)

• I did not learn in my open water course

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • I did not learn in my advanced open water course

Votes: 44 56.4%
  • I learned about it in my nitrox course and since then I also analyse air tanks

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • I only analyse tanks with nitrox

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • I always analyse tanks, with air also

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • I started analysing all tanks after something happened with the wrong gas

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I do not analyse when there is only air available, but otherwise I do

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
First of all, I am a technical diver and instructor, so my opinion or vision about things changed since I started diving. Sometimes something happens and you start to think about how it is told or written and maybe it can or has to be improved. I especially posted this topic in the basic scuba as I am curious about what (less) experienced recreational divers are learned or do. Or what they think about it. There is no right or wrong answer. If you don't know anything about analyzing gases, that is not a problem, I also did not when I finished my open water course. Also beginners in diving can answer.

So let's start:

When you did your open water course or your advanced open water course, was there anything told about analyzing cylinders? Or was it: we dive air, so we don't need to do?

I do not talk about nitrox, every nitrox diver must know that they have to analyse their nitrox.
But do you analyse your air? And if you are nitrox certified, did you start with it after a nitrox course?

When I started, I did not know anything about analyzing or labeling a cylinder when I did my open water course. Nothing was told about that. It is also not written in de books. There was told about a specialty course nitrox for longer ndl, but nothing more.

When I did my nitrox 'course' (just 1.5 hour), I analysed a tank, had to fill in the filling list, had to fill in a sticker on my tank and that's it. I never learned to analyse tanks with air, or probably air. It was the first time then that I saw an analyser.

When I fill tanks in a fillingstation that fills air and nitrox, nobody asks me to analyse air here.
It is only a procedure to be done when you fill nitrox.

But I have had some nitroxfills when it must be air. So I analyse now. But this was never told to me as 'must do'.

I would say it depends. If there is only a compressor in a room with nothing connected to it, how are you going to get anything but air?

I would say it depends. If there is only a compressor in a room with nothing connected to it, how are you going to get anything but air?
Yes, that is true. I added it to the poll, you can fill in more votes.
But I have never been asked to analyse gases when there was also nitrox available. That is what I mean. And as open water diver, I did not know anything about other gases to dive with.

By someone bringing their unlabelled nitrox or 02 cylinder.
Recently at a live aboard someone attached a o2 bailout to a daisy chain of 10 empty air tanks, everyone dove free nitrox that day without knowing.

By someone bringing their unlabelled nitrox or 02 cylinder.
Recently at a live aboard someone attached a o2 bailout to a daisy chain of 10 empty air tanks, everyone dove free nitrox that day without knowing.
These things are the things why I started this topic. I have seen such things also.

I took my entry level courses way back in early 80's so no mention of Nitrox or analysis. I started to analyze all Tanks in late 90's when Nitrox became popular and there was a possibility for mislabeling tanks or filling the wrong gas in tanks. I analyze for O2% and CO.

So I got some basic information about Nitrox in my OWD like thanks getting marked. I really learned about it when i did my Nitrox specialty. I never thought about analyzing air before but when I started technical diving and did my side mount course my teacher always checked all tanks.

So now if I fill my tank with our own compressor and do a recreational dive I do not check it. If I plan on a technical dive I always check them even if it get's filled by myself on our compressor that only does air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom