ear question, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since I've been diving, I have had this little problem. Does anyone else experience this and what is it??? My ears are clean as evidenced by using ear wax remover and flushing, nothing there.

But, if I bend over, I sound like I'm in a drum (to me). Also, it reduces outside sounds like I have a finger over my ear. I dived over a week ago and it is still here. Actually i's been that way since I was in Cayman over a month ago. I have no problem equalizing my ears underwater (they make a little squeek when I do).

Also, I always have bright orange stuff that comes out of my nose that the DM said was the result of little capillaries bursting in sinuses. So, I wonder if I have blown some of that stuff up the eustatian tubes when I equalize. Can anyone tell me if they've had the same problem, and what to do about it? Thanks.

You'll get a lot of opinions here, but the only one that matters is the one you get from someone who can actually examine you.

You can check with your doctor or an ENT, or of they don't seem to understand the physics of SCUBA diving, call DAN (Diver's Alert Network) for a referral at 1-800-446-2671.

You shouldn't be hearing funny things or leaking any abnormal fluids.

Terry

highlandfarmwv:
Since I've been diving, I have had this little problem. Does anyone else experience this and what is it??? My ears are clean as evidenced by using ear wax remover and flushing, nothing there.

But, if I bend over, I sound like I'm in a drum (to me). Also, it reduces outside sounds like I have a finger over my ear. I dived over a week ago and it is still here. Actually i's been that way since I was in Cayman over a month ago. I have no problem equalizing my ears underwater (they make a little squeek when I do).

Also, I always have bright orange stuff that comes out of my nose that the DM said was the result of little capillaries bursting in sinuses. So, I wonder if I have blown some of that stuff up the eustatian tubes when I equalize. Can anyone tell me if they've had the same problem, and what to do about it? Thanks.

I agree call DAN for a referal.

I just recently went to the ENT for the very same thing. For me it was an inflamed or blocked eustatian tube that was causing fluid to stay in the outer ear (and yes I keep my ears clean :D doesn't matter). This will dull sounds. For instance, put a ringing phone to the good ear and then the bad ear, the sound will be different/muffled. This also caused intermittent pain in my bad ear. As for the capillaries, if it is really bad they may recommend cuaterization. Now remember, I am not a doc and all that other good stuff. I found the lesson my ENT gave me very worth my co-pay, as I asked lots of other questions I had always wanted to know the correct answer to.

highlandfarmwv:
Thanks. I know I should see ENT, (and plan to ) but I thought it was maybe a common affliction with divers!

FWIW, any part of you that's worse after diving should be looked at.

There are all sorts of "common" problems, but they all need to either heal or be fixed.

Also, sooner is better than later. Some stuff that's easy to fix if taken care of right away is much harder or impossible to fix if left alone for a while.

Terry

Missdirected:
I just recently went to the ENT for the very same thing. For me it was an inflamed or blocked eustatian tube that was causing fluid to stay in the outer ear (and yes I keep my ears clean :D doesn't matter). This will dull sounds. For instance, put a ringing phone to the good ear and then the bad ear, the sound will be different/muffled. This also caused intermittent pain in my bad ear. .

Hi Miss!

My husband has this same problem! What did you do to clear it up?

Thanks
Pamela:wink:

opalobsidian:
Hi Miss!

My husband has this same problem! What did you do to clear it up?

Thanks
Pamela:wink:

Well let me give you a bit of background. I'm one of those that it takes me forever to get to a doc. If it is my kids - I'm there in a hearbeat. Se, I keep waiting for it to go away. So anyway, I went to my regular doc. By this time I also had a raging sinus infection and some other nasty stuff. She gave me a couple prescriptions, one being antibiotics that were to also help with the ear. She looked and said there was fluid in, a lot of fluid. My being "bad" had just let things get worse over time. Anway, my other problems went away but not the ear. Yes before this I was still diving, etc. Just like our fella here who started the thread. I thought my ears were equalized when in actuality they weren't. Not enough air could get through the tube as it was closed partially. Note, learn this is bad mmm'kay :)

I phoned my doc who sent me to and ENT. She prescribed steroids (a methylprednisone pack (?)) to open the tube totally and allow it to drain properly. Please note, there was no infection just trapped fluid that had built over time. Within 12 hours I cold feel the difference. Beyond that, she gave me an entire lesson on the ear and the ear and diving which I found very enlightening/worthwhile. I must say, I was surprised at her knowledge on diving and the ear.

So yes, it seems this is common among divers and you need to go see the doc IMHO. For me, cleary it did not go away on its own. Leaving it, thinking it wasn't botherome enough, only made it worse.

Again, I can only tell you the facts as they pertain to me as I am no doc. Blah, blah, blah, you know the rest. :D

Missdirected:
I just recently went to the ENT for the very same thing. For me it was an inflamed or blocked eustatian tube that was causing fluid to stay in the outer ear (and yes I keep my ears clean :D doesn't matter).

Uhm.. :icorolley There is no way that a blocked eustachian tube fill up the outer ear. Normally, the only way to get fluid in the outer ear is via the ear itself (unless the eardrum is ruptured ;-). There was probably fluid in your mid-ear, behind the eardrum.

If you cannot clear your ears (sufficiently), the pressure in your mid-ear is lower than the environment. This forces blood and fluids from the surrounding tissue into your mid-ear. Normally this results in muffled sounds, like you've cotton in your head. Sounds like being pressent at an African drummer tribe I've never heard of (this I would worry about).

If you cannot clear your sinusses, the same thing happens there. Might explain the orange gue dripping from the nose.

Basically, this kind of squeeze not be really dangerous. But it may result in mid-ear/sinus inflamation. See also some stuff on my site

Please, realise the ear is an incredible delicate instrument (registrating the slightest vibrations) and diving means an act of utmost violence :banghead: applied to this instrument. Be sure to equalise when you feel any inconvenience (note that I do not say 'pain'). This means in my case every 2 ft.

Anyway, the visit-the-ENT suggestion is a good one, I suppose...

No, I am not a docter, please regard the above as utterly nonsence, etc.

Yes, mid-ear, my bad. She also went through just what you said about the air...

Back
Top Bottom