Diver Insurance for Canadians...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
...anyone have any suggestions?
Is DAN even available to Canadians? I briefly overviewed their site, and could only find insurance applicable to the US.
What other insurance companies are there? I'm not too good with "picking" insurance companies as they all seem to offer the same things, and the legal jargon makes it no easier to comprehend.

As far as I know, DAN is available to Canadians. However, check your provincial medical and any extended medical that you may have through work. For example, in BC, our provincial medical covers chamber rides within the province; as long as it is not a private chamber. (Then it might get tricky).

Bill.

Hi DivetheRock,

Copied/pasted from DAN's web site ... but I know for a fact that it is available to Canadians ... my sister is insured with DAN .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live outside the United States. Can I get DAN America insurance?

We have recently expanded our insurance coverage. We can now insure all of North, Central and South America, the Caribbean and many other locations. Please check with DAN headquarters to find out if you are eligible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one note: If you are planning on diving in Cuba , DAN does not cover !!!

Thanks, guys. As I said before, I don't know really what to look for in determining which insurance is better than the other. The only determining factor I can think of off hand is which is cheaper than the other. I've seen other members mention a company DiveAssure, but I don't know anything about those guys at all. I do know that DAN is a huge name in scuba diving, so perhaps I'll look into them. Thanks, again.

I'm in BC, so chamber rides are covered here in province, but i have DAN insurance as well, just in case, and also for when I dive outside of BC. :)

Yep sure is - The dive shop I frequent in calgary has a brochure from DAN, listed in canadian dollars and the likes.

DivetheRock:
Thanks, guys. As I said before, I don't know really what to look for in determining which insurance is better than the other. The only determining factor I can think of off hand is which is cheaper than the other. I've seen other members mention a company DiveAssure, but I don't know anything about those guys at all. I do know that DAN is a huge name in scuba diving, so perhaps I'll look into them. Thanks, again.

As mentionned in my previous post, if you are like me and going diving in Cuba, and since you are not shure yet which insurance coverage is better for you, I have 2 hints for you:

1) If you'd like to buy an annual coverage that will cover you even when you dive locally, I'm covered with Vicencia & Buckley http://www.diveinsurance.com/

2) If you are only diving when on vacation,( I hope you buy vacation insurance when on vacation) since December 2005 Blue Cross does cover diving accidents at no additional cost ... BUT if my memory serves me right, it DOES NOT cover trip cancellation, lost of equipment or things like that ... Ask your travel agent !!!

And you did mentionned the dreaded word " cheaper " .... remember: You always get what you pay for !!!! ...

Would you like to find out that you are not covered for air lift or emergency flight back to Canada while lying on a hospital bed in the Carribean ???

I personally think my life is worth a couple of extra "dead presidents" !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom