yippee! booked our vacation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone.......just booked a trip this summer......gonna stay four nights on saba.......hike the rainforest, followed by a couple days of diving, then go over to st. maarten for a few days of r/r on the beach, etc. can't wait!!!! anyone been to saba??

I had no idea what SABA is...

Now I do:

Saba (pronounced "SAY-ba") is the smallest island of the Netherlands Antilles, located at longitude 63.13 degrees West, latitude 17.38 degrees North. It consists largely of the dormant volcano, Mount Scenery (888 m), the highest point of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Saba has a land area of 13 km² (5 sq. miles). At the 2001 Netherlands Antilles census, the population was 1,349 inhabitants, which means a population density of 104 inhabitants per km². In 2004 the population was estimated at 1,424 inhabitants.

Its current major settlements include The Bottom, Windwardside, Hell's Gate and St. Johns. Despite the island's Dutch affiliation, English is the principal language spoken on the island and has been used in its school system since 1986. The Netherlands Antillean guilder is the official currency, but the U.S. dollar is accepted everywhere on the island.

Saba is home to the Saba University School of Medicine, which was established by American expatriates in coordination with the Netherlands government. The school adds over 300 residents when classes are in session, and it is the prime educational attraction. A.M. Edwards Medical Center is the major provider of healthcare for local residents.

We visited Saba in November '05 while we were on the Caribbean Explorer II. Of all the places I've been in the Caribbean I like Saba best. It's a beautiful island, the people are very nice and the divings good. Diamond Rock is a great dive site.

el ridgeo:
We visited Saba in November '05 while we were on the Caribbean Explorer II. Of all the places I've been in the Caribbean I like Saba best. It's a beautiful island, the people are very nice and the divings good. Diamond Rock is a great dive site.

I am doing this trip July 07. Wife doesn't care to go to this area of the world and I want to check it off the list. Thought the liveaboard would be a good was to do so. However, if the pics are good she may cave in and go.

Our boat was at Saba for only two days. The sea was a little choppy at the time and we had some green-tinged divers so our captain made the crossing over to Statia in hopes of finding some calmer water. I was sorry to leave. Saba really is a beautiful place. There's not much to see from a boat. Saba is an extinct (?) volcano. From the water it just looks like a big mountain of rock. There are some isolated houses, some sparse vegetation and a few goats. But when you get to the top and look down into the crater it's a beautiful, lush green paradise. It's one of the few places I've visited on a dive trip that I would return to and not dive (well, for a day or two anyway).

wow. thanks for the report. we're excited about it and plan to hike in the rainforest our first day, then dive,dive,dive!

Back
Top Bottom