Help Big Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, At the dive site today my new friend diver was just wanting to see my xtx200 so i said sure go ahead, I got back to the car to get my drysuit and all i hear it a big BANG. I WAS LIKE ***, i ran back and he unscrewed my 1st stage when it was pressured a little bit. THe oring of the tank came out but we put a new one on. BUt i dont care about the tank, How damage will my 1st stage be? Its a brand new reg only has 4 dives on it? It breathes the same and everything when i hook er up again. Just super worried.
Chris

Settle down. It's probably fine.

Remember that *bang* next time someone asks if they can screw with your gear while you aren't around.

Oh, NO ONE TOUCHES MY STUFF even when im around.

Ouch, that's a pretty crummy situation you're in. I hate to hear dive buddies destroying brand new gear. Well, nothing else to do at this point but basically toss the reg. However, there are trace elements in regs that make them potentially environmentally hazardous without proper disposal. I'll pay shipping for you to send it to me and I'll take care of all the nasty EPA regs of proper disassembly/disposal.
It's a good thing you have a resource like ScubaBoard or this could cost you even more in pollution/fines.

Ok, in all seriousness. Your reg is probably just fine. You depressure it everytime you purge the system when the tank valve is closed - it just happened a bit faster this time :) If anything, moisture may have condensed on the outside. If you're hyper-concenered, you can take it to your local shop, but since it's still breathing just fine and that's not a completely abnormal scenario, I'd say your reg is still a reg.

Oh, but the offer still stands if you want to send it to me :wink:

Hahaha thanks guy, I just about had a heart attack, ready to call 911. I love Scubaboarders they always make things better!
Thanks Guys
Chris

99%+ probability of no harm done (except the o-ring) but lesson that should be learned is don't mess with another divers gear, and for sure don't let anyone mess with yours. Your "new friend" needs what is sometimes referred to as a wall to wall counselling session.

Let me guess, the bang was just about as loud as a gunshot...

No big deal, you replaced the O ring, it may have been fine as well, or it may have been damaged. In either case replacing the O ring was a good idea, but your regulator is fine, the tank is fine, the valve is fine. Not that big a deal really.

Mark Vlahos

should be fine... Once i set my tank on a seat on a boat for two secs maybe even less. it ended up falling over onto my first stage. the first stage became dislodged and there was a tremendous bang as hundreds of pounds of air was just being let out. in the 8 or so seconds it took for me to react and close the tank i lost 2000 psi, needless to say i had to swtich tanks. But the only damage done here was a busted o ring. Changed that and we were fine, still went on the dive with a fresh tank and same reg with no problems.

just one question your profile says solo diver. How many dives do you have and someone who is so worried about something as simple as this even be diving solo?

and now you've discovered a new way to remove an o-ring from the tank if you need to do so and don't have a pick.

kari

Back
Top Bottom