OK...how many of you have done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Just went snorkeling today in the local no-diving allowed springs....with my cool dry snorkel and cool jet fins :D!

Sank down to about 12-15 ft....looked at some rocks and little fishies...and started thinking...sure is nice and calm down here....no little kids screaming and kicking me from above...inflatable tubes bashing into my head....and then....like a reflex....

SLLUUURRPPP....COUGH COUGH....GURGLE GURGLE....

Quick...ascend to the surface you idiot! You don't have a tank strapped to your back and you tried to take a breath....FROM YOUR SNORKEL!!!

Well, like a kid putting his fingers in an electric socket, it only happend once.

Is there some sort of club I should join or what :confused:?

Just about every time I jump in the water with a snorkle on, I get to depth and take a breath...

"Something in my mouth, that means I can breathe".

Yea... happens all the time.

I hate when that happens. I have to constantly think: don't breathe, there is no air, don't breathe...

.. I guess that's why i leave my snorkell on the shore as often as i can... the damn thingy dangling on the side of my head is annoying by itself :)

But on the topic of diving in springs... last time i went snorkeling in Crystal River (before the main dive of the day) i discovered that a person with two piece 3 mm wet suit and no weights have err... problems staying underwater ... gotta have my tank and BC :-D

Thought I was the only one...
Happens to me EVERY time I snorkel!! Think next time I decide to go in the water without a tank on my back, I'll write "DON'T BREATHE" really big on the back of my hand..you know, a little cheat sheet like I used way back in high school.:D

Sounds like lots of folks haven't had much training in skin diving. I find this concept very difficult to grasp. Skin diving is so vastly different from SCUBA that I don't understand how anyone could confuse them. OTOH, I learned skin diving prior to learning (although in the same class) SCUBA, so maybe that is the difference.

I was skindiving decades before taking up scuba, though I do so very rarely now in comparison to scuba. While I've never done what the original poster mentioned, I now feel the need to remind myself not to breathe on breath-hold dives.

Yeah...

Its one of those "side effects" of scuba I think....

The last time I snorkeled with my daughter I damn near scored an "own goal" that way.... she loves to swim around with a snorkel and see the fishies over by the jetties...

Anyway, we were there, dove down a few feet to look at some fishies with her, was hanging down there for a few seconds looking, got "lost" in the moment and inhaled! :wacko:

Heh - that reg is breathing REAL wet! :)

Dry Snorkel! :D I love mine.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Just went snorkeling today in the local no-diving allowed springs....with my cool dry snorkel and cool jet fins :D!

Sank down to about 12-15 ft....looked at some rocks and little fishies...and started thinking...sure is nice and calm down here....no little kids screaming and kicking me from above...inflatable tubes bashing into my head....and then....like a reflex....

SLLUUURRPPP....COUGH COUGH....GURGLE GURGLE....

Quick...ascend to the surface you idiot! You don't have a tank strapped to your back and you tried to take a breath....FROM YOUR SNORKEL!!!

Well, like a kid putting his fingers in an electric socket, it only happend once.

Is there some sort of club I should join or what :confused:?

How did you suck water with a dry snorkel??:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom