Buying gear online: good or evil?

Does buying online harm the diving community?

• Buying online is the future. Dive stores need to adapt or close up shop

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • You have a choice. Online = cheaper goods, but less personal service and warranty support

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • Buying online will eventually destroy diving as we know it. Only bad people do it

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • What? You can get dive gear online...?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know this is an old topic, but the with Leisurepro dumping excess stock at deep discount prices, and many dive stores facing potentially closing their doors due to the recession, I thought it might be a good time to run a straw poll.

Not picking out LP in particular (although I am sure they are the biggest), but I think the basic issues of the debate are the same for all the major online retailers. Is the sport poorer if local dive stores become a rarity?

I am a consumer. As a consumer it is my responsibility to spend my money in a way that is the most beneficial to me. If that means going on line so be it. It is NOT my responsibility to keep a bad business model afloat. And honestly if all the dive shops in this area close down (not likely anytime soon) then I have a new business I can get into :) I would figure out a way to cheaply fill the needs of the only thing the internet cannot provide, air fills. And with all the shops closed think of all those cheap used compressors around.

While I do agree that most of the time you can get cheeper goods on the internet....my LDS is actually very competative to everyday "noncloseout" prices. If it is something that is an everyday item...they are pretty close and I will probably go with them. I know that they can't keep their doors open doing just air fills and classes. But I have bought online and if I find a really good deal I have no problem doing it....but I am not going to go strickly one way or the other....but the one question to ask is....if your LDS goes out of business...where you gonna get your air from.

where you gonna get your air from.

If that becomes an issue in your area, why not supply a solution? buy that compressor that lds had, figure out a way to put an air fill only store in a low over head environment and since there is no competition charge whatever you want for your fills.:cool2:

Well, I like to think that my husband and I helped our LDS weather the economy quite nicely last month! (We just purchased our regs and bcs). :rofl3:

Their prices were marginally more expensive than buying online, but we got some benefits that NO WAY would we have gotten online:

-about 2 hours of personalized attention in the dive store with the different options explained in glorious detail--the owner LOVES to talk and we learned a ton about the gear, local dive opportunities, upcoming courses, etc.
-opportunity to try stuff out in the pool first using their demo equipment.
-free regulator bag
-deep discount on our nitrox course
-first year annual service free
-locked in annual service rate for life of gear
-opportunity to play with our new gear again in the pool after they set it up for us and so we could check it out before our upcoming dive trip, fine-tune our weight, and just get more comfortable/familiar with it in the water before hitting the ocean.

That said, I occasionally do buy things online if it is cheaper or if the selection is better and as long as fit/service are not critical for whatever I'm buying.

I've bought my "major" stuff from my LDS (which I am coming to believe is one of the better ones around) but I have bought some 'accessories' online... things like my safety sausage, shears, spools, a wetsuit (the LDS has trouble getting them from their suppliers for some reason my size has been backordered for months), a compass and a computer I am using as a backup. I didn't like the Compass the LDS had (scubapro). I would have bought the wetsuit from the LDS if they had ever gotten one in that fit me right (I scored with scubatoys). I tried on the wrist compass at the LDS and I just didn't like it... and that is the kind they carry... so I ordered a Suunto online.

My online experience has not been all good. I have been extremely disappointed with the experiences I have had with one of the major online stores, scuba.com ... but scubatoys and leisurepro (where I got my compass) have been great.

This poll need an option that states clearly that all selling parties would be involved in the sourcing stages and the overall most competitive (not necessarily the cheapest) will get the business. THAT is the future. Giving all your money to the cheapest place with no thought is a fast track to an accident IMNSHO and blindly giving all your money to an over priced LDS is just stupid. An LDS needs to adapt and find ways to be profitable (online sales maybe?) so that they can stay in business and charge more for air fills.

Back
Top Bottom