Dawn of a new era?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
The dive partner announced that it's time for a new mask before we depart on vacation (altho nothing really wrong with the old one mind you, but it is a high volume, 4-window, greenhouse-sized thing)...but that's cool, getting new gear is always good...

So the search begins, I'm running down every option online and calculating express shipping charges to get it here in time blah blah blah...

Well, before I can offer the full download on options, she says a LDS has one that fits well and looks good. Yeah, but what about the infamous ripoff pricing sez I....

According to the owner, they will now match internet prices...so I'm waiting to see if they really will accept the LP price of $24.95 for what was tagged in the shop at $75...

If they keep their word on this deal, I might have to give them a kudo or something...hmm, or maybe even some business. :wink:

I'll post the actual outcome shortly...

On my $34.95 mask, shipping was $9.03

PS...In dive shop math, that $9.03 is really $18.06

well, after some protracted negotiations here is the deal they offered...

They had to verify the LP price (that's fair, but evidently they use a dial-up connection and stalled around for some time getting the info)...

They matched the LP price but added in the shipping and evidently the dive partner said that she was going to have to express it so they niggled over standard vs. express charges (another $10)...and then had to add the local taxes (8.25%).

But bottom line, they sold the $74.95 mask for a total of $44.95.

They did cover their butt a little by excluding any firesale 'closeouts' etc...but still a big improvement over the MSRP price they usually try to sell at...

That is truly awesome. With all the crapy LDS's everywhere it's nice to see one that is trying to keep up with the changing times and try to compete with the internet rather than pretend it doesn't exist and hopes it goes away.

My LDS is kinda like that, after putting in about 1000 dollars worth of gear they started matching prices with online dealers, saved me a hundred dollars on a bag.

Lucky me I guess, but it is pretty bad that their prices are 100 dollars more than the retail price of a hundred

corrected some previous sins with competitive pricing...

I'd used them for years and dropped beaux coup monies in their store. Then they did a couple of petty, penny-pinching moves that drove me away...(reneging on a negotiated price that had already been rung into the register (!) was the worst offense)...sheesh.

But, it is the closet shop in town for me and if they're going to price match, then I may have to alter my opinion of things...maybe...

that your LDS operates usually on a much lower volume and has a different overhead load so pricing really can't match the on-line dealers who sell in high volume and have different overhead structure.

I look for the best price on most things but when it comes to something that may require servicing I go with one of the two LDS here on Catalina.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

That is exactly what we want to see.
I had a conversation with one of the dive shop owners in my area and suggested to him to match the prices and he told me that he would lose his dealership if he lowered the prices.
I gave him suggestion number 2 and I think that most of us will go for it. Sell the gear at the MSRP, but give free annual service for 2 or 3 years, discount rate for the next class, and free t-shirt or hat. Well, he did not go for it.

When we started out buying gear I asked our LDS if they could come within 20% of what stuff sold for at LP and they were able to do it on almost all gear.
They sold a lot of gear and we saved money over their regular prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom