SCUBA expressions - again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Nope, I do not want to start another thread for SCUBA acronyms. I tried starting one for colloquialisms and acronyms some time back and it took off nicely but posters mostly focused on acronyms.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about expressions and colloquial language that is used in your SCUBA circles. Here are some that I've encountered:

Thumbing a dive: Aborting a dive and starting your ascent.
Sunshine and seagulls: The section of the SCUBA purlieus, situated directly above the water level, where breathable air in its more familiar uncompressed format is freely available. A diver that heads for sunshine and seagulls typically does so in a frenzied fashion and not after a controlled decision to "thumb the dive".
Topside: Similar to "sunshine and seagulls" (see above) but usually regarded by divers with a more relaxed disposition. Essentially, the main difference between the two is that "topside" is where most divers prefer not to find themselves while "sunshine and seagulls" is exactly where panicked divers prefer to find themselves.
Home gym: Weight belt of an excessively weighted diver.
Hot tub: Divers congregating on the surface after exiting the boat and before starting their descent.
Dive bombing the reef: The opposite of a "hot tub". Divers exit the boat and start finning for the reef/wreck/whatever-feature-is-to-be-found-at-the-bottom immediately.
Positive entry: See "hot tub"
Negative entry: See "dive bombing the reef"
Christmas Tree: A diver onto who's BC is adorned an entire catalog of gadgets.
Air hog: A diver who expends air in copious volumes. This is not necessarily used as a derogatory term and divers can often refer to themselves as air hogs.
Air diva: The opposite of an "air hog" (see above) but used mostly in a derogatory manner and certainly not used by the diver in question.
4x4 Dive: A dive during which the group swims against an uncomfortable current or surge.
Unsafety stop: A 'safety stop' performed by a diver during which no consideration is given to the position of the boat, mooring line, buoy line or currents and to what extend those might affect his/her chances of being located when finally surfacing.
Chumming: The act of depositing bait, fish scraps or other pieces of processed food into the water so as to attract marine life to the locale. This is done by fishermen or baited shark dive operators to improve the chances of catching fish or getting to see and dive with sharks. It is also done by vertiginous divers who make a peace offering to the ocean, in the form of that morning's bacon and eggs, in the hopes that Poseidon will lift their punishment.
Smuggling oysters: Surfacing after a dive with nasal mucus in your mask.
Nasal mucus: Antiquated term for snot.
Slightrox: The breathing gas in a cylinder that contained Nitrox but was topped off with air.
Washing machine: Seas with unfavorable surface conditions for launching a dive boat or seas with very unpleasant underwater surge making diving difficult.

That's about what I could come up with right now. Please add your own and feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. Please try to avoid posting SCUBA acronyms, there have been enough threads for those already.

Thumbing a dive: Deleted by poster because it was just plain wrong.

Hot Fill An air fill made at a high rate that will lose 10% or more upon reaching 70F

Critters: The underwater animal life.

Roto-Tilling: Diving with a foot down attitude while churning the bottom

Free Range Golf Ball: A golf ball found somewhere other than within a golf course.

Last edited:
Thumbing a dive: Aborting a dive and starting your ascent. Also know as Turning the Dive.

"Thumbing a dive" and "turning a dive" are NOT the same thing.

Turning a dive means "let's head back to the exit point" be it a shore exit or an up-line to the boat, etc and is usually signaled with a forefinger pointed upward making a circular motion. Typically this means that you've reached the agreed upon air/time/distance point where you will turn around, or it may simply mean "I've seen enough of the reef in this direction for one dive, let's start heading back"

A "thumb" is VERY different. If someone thumbs the dive it means "this dive is over, we're going up, right here, right now." Of course this may be signaled at the exit point to confirm "yup, let's head up" though it may be signaled at some other point in the dive as a matter of last recourse due to some problem.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about expressions and colloquial language that is used in your SCUBA circles.

Buddy: the guy you drove to the boat with and will have a few beers with after the dive. You may or may not actually see him underwater.

Yard sale: the act of leaving your gear strewn about the deck of the boat for other divers to fall over.

Spare Prayer: a tiny little bottle which contains just enough gas to allow you to run out of air twice on the same dive.

Dive Sherpa: a person who lugs someone else's gear to/from the boat; see also husband or boyfriend.

Problem Child: the one passenger on every charter that you can just tell is gonna be a nightmare from the moment you see them pull up to the dock. They will often hold a Yard Sale and frequently carry a Spare Prayer

Charlie Foxtrot: any dive with a Problem Child as your buddy

NOTROX: NITROX stickers on the cylinder, but air within it (a little different than slightrox)

Getting Tanked-two meanings...1) the act of having a tank refilled (as opposed to making a lengthy stop at the nearest "libation station") and 2) being in the water near the dive gate when a "problem child" doesn't look before giant striding.

Skin-thin wetsuit, usually worn fashionably tight by the buff (and sometimes by the careless non-buff...with starkly different effect)

sea fleas- tiny "no see-um" organisms such as tiny jellies and stinging larval forms that cause those red rashes and bumps when one doesn't use a wetsuit or "skin".

"Thumbing a dive" and "turning a dive" are NOT the same thing.

Agreed. While in some situations (overhead environments, for example) they may result in the same thing, one indicates an emergency and the other is simply part of the dive plan.

Two Tank Dive - Paradoxically, this doesn't mean you are diving with multiple tanks. It means you are on a two-dive charter.

S____e - an unsafe diver :D

Dazed and Glazed - The diver who shuts off the brain as soon as the body is submerged, only capable of following & looking where your light is shining. (Not to be confused with a "Trust-me" diver)

Hoover - See Airhog

Chuck Wagon- See X-Mas Tree

Lawn Dart- Hitting bottom fast and subsequent siltup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom