Pony bottle & recreational diving...Need input...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC53

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m in a bit of a quandary. I have 38 dives now and am taking AOW. My instructor whom I like but who is a self confessed minimalist – doesn’t want glow sticks in night dive training for example), also does not like the 19 cu ft pony I usually wear attached to my main steel 100 with a “x bracket”, with a small Aeris Ion regulator clipped to the BCD. It’s a lot of comfort to me as a newer diver even though I have no intention at this time to exceed any of the recreational diver limits. He says I can keep it on if I must but he would prefer than within rec diving limits I minimize extra gear, trust what I have (Oceanic Delta 4 primary reg, never diving in water below 47 degrees), stay streamlined, etc. I have good air consumption – usually below 0.50 cu ft/min, often around 0.45 unless I am working hard on something, so I don’t have a lot of good arguments to keep it except for “what if” and “I take comfort in it”. Opinions?

It's your decision, not his. While a yellow buddy may have many limitations, you always know where it is.

Its your choice not his.

I’m in a bit of a quandary. I have 38 dives now and am taking AOW. My instructor whom I like but who is a self confessed minimalist – doesn’t want glow sticks in night dive training for example), also does not like the 19 cu ft pony I usually wear attached to my main steel 100 with a “x bracket”, with a small Aeris Ion regulator clipped to the BCD. It’s a lot of comfort to me as a newer diver even though I have no intention at this time to exceed any of the recreational diver limits. He says I can keep it on if I must but he would prefer than within rec diving limits I minimize extra gear, trust what I have (Oceanic Delta 4 primary reg, never diving in water below 47 degrees), stay streamlined, etc. I have good air consumption – usually below 0.50 cu ft/min, often around 0.45 unless I am working hard on something, so I don’t have a lot of good arguments to keep it except for “what if” and “I take comfort in it”. Opinions?

I like your instructor's philosophy. Proper air management is the key. If you can't manage your air usage so you don't run out you shouldn't be diving.
Failure of properly maintained equipment is almost unheard of. In 50 years of diving I have never run out of air or had an equipment failure. There is reliability in simplicity.

Your gear, your choice.
I personally don't like extra unnecessary additions to a dive, and a pony for a typical recreation dive with a good buddy in my opinion is unnecessary. I do dive with buddies who have aspirations of going technical and they take ponies with them to adjust to the gear configuration, for that purpose fine, but just to carry an extra tank because you have no confidence in your gear on a rec dive not necessary IMHO.

Failure of properly maintained equipment is almost unheard of.

So. with good gas management, you will ALMOST always be fine.

But I do agree that the pony is not a replacement for good gas planning and management.

I agree with pretty well everything that has been said. But I believe in simplicity and reliability of equipment used, not in simply dispensing with equipment you probably won't use. No-one ever died from having too much air.

The fact that you have posted here does suggest though that you and your instructor don't have much of a rapport. I'd suggest you look around for another instructor, one you really can understand and get along with, who can answer your questions even before you've asked them, so you don't feel the need to write for advice to forums such as these.

Another vote for 'your gear, your choice'.

This is not a 'one-size-fits-all' world despite what some diving philosophies would have you believe.

When I teach open water, I teach my students that running to a buddy in an emergency should be the very last of your options. That buddy, if they are as new to diving as you are, will probalby be very panicked and it's 'iffy' at best. Learn to solve underwater problems underwater and learn to depend on your own abilities...

...which is exactly what you're doing!

Your instructor is following what he's been taught is the best way. That's opinion... his not yours!

Carry on with what you're doing, your doing great...

PS-I'd check around for another instructor, one that has the same philosophy as you... just a thought...

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

If you are diving in colder water, and there is a chance of free-flow, I like my chances better with a pony. (i.e. poo poo happens) I don't think it has anything to do with your air consumption, but I like knowing I have an extra 40cf to breathe in certain situations (and have used it) but the security of it in colder water was a big factor in my decision to dive with one.

I also carry it on deeper dives in warmer water as a contingency for anything "Murphy's Law" related.

I agree with those that said "your decision".

Last edited:
There is nothing really wrong with your AOW instructor promoting a minimalist ideal. There are good reasons many divers follow this idea and being open to understanding why he follows this is a good learning experience. Many divers slide into thinking gear will solve all issues. Learn why this is not true and then you can decide on your own the best gear for your situation.

Its only an AOW class, it too shall pass and I would not get too worked up either way. Hopefully, he is not crossig over into being actively critical of your gear choices, as others have pointed it in the end it is your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom