Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lately, the flame-festival de jour has been the Spare Air vs Pony vs true redundancy debate. Just the mention of Spare Air in a thread title has been enough to evoke a ghoulish spectator response, making one peer within the thread, because they seem to inevitably degenerate to name calling and insults.

Usually, these two quotes (although baldly put) seem to polarize the two camps:

A Spare Air lets you go OOA twice on the same dive.

I don’t want to be thinking “I’d give anything for one more breath of air”

Something that’s been lacking is some understanding... understanding of what generated these thoughts in the first place.

The Spare-Air dismissers

It’s a generalization, but the majority of posters I’ve seen in this camp are generally very experienced. They have extensive, precise training, and routinely dive well beyond the No Decompression Limits, or, under a hard overhead barrier.

These divers have experienced the visceral enormity of what overhead-restricted means. There is nothing like your first deco dive, and arriving at your 10’ stop (usually cold and tired); and while looking at the surface, realizing the sudden finality of how you can NOT go there without grave peril. Such a short distance – but, forbidden, and 10 minutes away. This first experience is forever life (and viewpoint) altering. Mine was 30 years ago, and I remember it as if it was yesterday.

Even the most experienced, 20-year worldwide recreational diver cannot understand this shattering change in viewpoint. They may understand it intellectually – but not in their gut. This is truly something that has to be experienced before it is understood.

Thus, these divers think in terms of true redundancy. If a procedure will not give them a 100% chance of waiting out that 10’ stop, then it isn’t worthy of use. Commonly heard is “Two is one, and one is none”. The thought of relying on “thirty breaths” in the overhead environment is ludicrous, and that forever-hardwired thought process spills over into the forum discussions.

The Spare-Air supporters

Again, it’s a generalization, but the majority of posters in this camp either have extensive recreational experience, or, are very low time in the sport.

The ones who are very low time have been let down by the educational process in diving today. Air shares and emergencies are, for the most part, covered and drilled just enough to pass the final (all too soon) skills exam. These skills haven’t been drilled and covered until they are second nature. Plus, they do not have the finely-honed buddy awareness that would support resolution of an emergency. Thus the low-time diver has no innate confidence that the air-share will really work, and they want something that gives them a warm fuzzy. Thirty breaths is better than none, and so they look to the Spare Air.

The experienced recreational diver is the exact opposite. They have the time in the water to be calm and handle practically any issue. To these seasoned divers, thirty breaths is more than enough to resolve a problem and make it to the surface in a leisurely way. Given the questionable skills of an insta-buddy, and small size of a Spare Air, it is for them a compact answer for self dependency.

The Spare Air is a tool. Every tool has advantages and disadvantages. There are situations that I would consider one myself, and many where I would not, but my decision would be made on my needs.

All the best, James

The Spare Air is not a pony bottle.

It's foolish to expect for it to be anything more than an extra source of air that would give the diver maybe a couple of good breaths at depth.

If a diver uses the Spare Air as a pony bottle substitute then that diver is an idiot. Don't blame the Spare Air for one's own stupidity.

I carry a Spare Air for recreational deep dives. I don't expect to do deco stop with it, nor do I expect to finish out a dive with it. I expect it to give me a few mouthfuls worth of breaths so that I can reach the surface in a quick manner.

It gives the single-tanker a small measure of redundancy. A "very small measure" of redundancy.

Nice first post but the first half, about how Deco divers would never consider it, is a waste of time for you to write, and a waste of time for us to read.

Spare Air is designed for recreational diving use, not Decompression diving.

No kidding that it would be all but useless for a Deco stop at any degree of depth.

Nice first post but the first half, about how Deco divers would never consider it, is a waste of time for you to write, and a waste of time for us to read.

Actually, it certainly was not a waste of my time to read it. And saying it's a waste of time for someone to write a thoughtful, analytical post about this contentious topic is disrespectful and uncalled for.

Why are you so defensive about this?

It's all about GAS management! You should never need any spare gas if your a recreational diver! Also your buddy should be your spare gas in an emergency! A pony bottle or redundancy is a different animal for a different dive! I worry that a Spare gas supply will give someone a bugger margin to make a bigger mistake! I am not a big 500lber either for the same reason! You should know how much gas you have and where you will be when it is at certain levels! If there is an emergency the dive is over and your buddy system becomes more important and is your spare air! If you have a thousand dives and want a toy I have no problem, but really what will it do for you?

No kidding that it would be all but useless for a Deco stop at any degree of depth.

I'm sorry that I was unclear. I was offering that each person in these ...."discussions"... has their point of view influenced by their backgrounds.

<snip>, and that forever-hardwired thought process spills over into the forum discussions. <snip>

All the best, James

This is in the Basic Scuba Discussion forum. I strongly believe that every single word in the OP is of high value to the vast majority of participants in "Basic Scuba discussions."

While not pushing basic scuba divers to move onwards to Planned Decompression Diving, I believe the OP successfully explained (to Basic Scuba Divers) why certain populations in the diving world are a priori negative about "Spare Air", specifically those divers who had the experience of learning planned deco diving.

Those divers with extensive deco experience would likely find most Basic Scuba Discussion "a waste of time" unless they valued these exchanges for other reasons, such as teaching early level scuba (OW, AOW, Rescue.)

New divers have often asked me about the utility of "Spare Air", and I was not always able to state my objections clearly. Fdog's summary helped me clarify this.

I don't currently need or use a spare air, but I can imagine specific circumstances when it could well be the best choice available.

Well stated.

Thanks!

~~~
Claudette

Let the sleeping dog lie..........this has been beat to death many thousands of times----if you want one, get it, there are no longer any Spare Air police........

Methinks you aren't comprehending the post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom