Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James, an excellent post.

I actually went to dive the other day with a diver new to me. For the first time in my diving career, my buddy was carrying a Spare Air. In later discussion, I went through some basic gas management concepts and we went through how much time he would get from the little bottle. He looked at me in all seriousness and told me that, as a new diver ought, he intends to stay shallow as he builds experience, and he won't be using the SA to come up from 100 feet. Wouldn't it give him some extra safety if he had a problem at 30? And I couldn't say no, really.

For real redundancy through the entire spectrum of recreational dives, it's a questionable decision. But for what he's using it for (and given all the caveats of knowing how it works, where it is, how to deploy it, etc.) I can't term it useless. I still think there are better answers.

And I think James hit the nail right on the head in the first paragraph. People trained like me don't regard stops as optional except in absolute extremis, so if we plan a redundant supply, we plan it for all the stops that most people would say ought to be omitted in a gas emergency on a recreational dive. It's a different mindset.

All I've got to say is...

4304394583_bf90493153.jpg

:coca-cola:

All the best, James

I'm sorry that I was unclear. I was offering that each person in these ...."discussions"... has their point of view influenced by their backgrounds.
All the best, James

Ok, that I can understand.

Thanks for the clarification.

Methinks you aren't comprehending the post.

Yeah I missed his point. Still it's like a vegetarian posting on a meat eating forum that there's no point in owning a grill. Or something like that.

By the way I'm currently selling my Spare Air on Ebay. I haven't carried it in years, my 19 cf pony goes everywhere I go. Including shore dives.

Spare Air 3 Cubic Feet Self Contained Backup Scuba Gear - eBay (item 150407560931 end time Jan-28-10 12:57:53 PST)

Yeah I missed his point. Still it's like a vegetarian posting on a meat eating forum that there's no point in owning a grill. Or something like that.

I think it's more like a pastry chef saying there's no point in owning an Easy-Bake Oven :D

Good & handy to have to at least give you a chance getting out should your liveaboard capsizes (i.e. the Wave Dancer tragedy).

James,

Great post. Should be required reading anytime SPARE and AIR appear in the same sentence :D

Best wishes.

The Spare Air is a tool. Every tool has advantages and disadvantages. There are situations that I would consider one myself, and many where I would not, but my decision would be made on my needs.

All the best, James

While in general I agree with what you've written, I think the big point you're missing in your post is that the SpareAir is rendered entirely superfluous with the availability of the option of a standard (13/19cf) pony bottle - a far superior option - with negligible extra cost/hassle/size. Hell, if you shop around you can just about pick up a 40cf bottle and reg for what the MSRP is on the 3cf SpareAir.

I think the big point you're missing in your post

It doesn't appear to be James who is missing the point.

While in general I agree with what you've written, I think the big point you're missing in your post is that the SpareAir is rendered entirely superfluous with the availability of the option of a standard (13/19cf) pony bottle - a far superior option - with negligible extra cost/hassle/size. Hell, if you shop around you can just about pick up a 40cf bottle and reg for what the MSRP is on the 3cf SpareAir.
A point well made. I went to my LDS and asked about the Spare Air and got all the current up to date information. I was surprised to see the spare air system runs roughly 200 dollars give or take and only allows about 30 breathes (Depending on how deep of breathes and how heavily one breathes). My instructor quickly pointed out the pony bottle system and even the rec diver using doubles (Without intention of tech deep)

For only a small amount more you get complete and total reliability and alot more air so I have decided when the time comes I am going to get a simple pony bottle. I need to spend a little more time researching it but am debating on which one either the 20 or the 40. Allthough I am seriously at this point leaning towards the 40.

One thing that I am having to really research is in my line of work we carry alot of gear the entire shift and people ask why we choose the glocks (off topic I know) but considering you may at best use it once or twice in your entire career you still have to lug it everywhere you go. Based on this we went for the fact it was one of the lightest and more reliable on the market for its cost. (I know but this is what is going through my mind is how often I will use it but how heavy it will be for the other 99% of the time)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom