From jacket BC to back plate and wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i'm still very new to diving with just over 30 open water dives. I do dive very often (25 in the last three months) because I enjoy the hell out of it. And since I enjoy the hell of diving I have been reading the forums and magazine articles about all things scuba diving. On my first ocean dive one of the crew used a back plate and wing. He was really cool about all my questions and I liked his approach. Of course I have the full vest bc with Air 2(gemini) and all the stuff that goes along with that.

It seems to me that most people start with the jacket BC because they aren't quite sure they will like diving all that much. But I've seen a handful of folks doing recreational dives with the back plate system. So if I was interested in trying a setup like that, where would I even start? For those of you that use the back plate and wing systems, what prompted you to use that setup and where did you begin? I'm guessing it's better to know someone that uses a back plate?Lastly what are some pro's and cons?

Well when I bought my equipement. One thing I considered is I dont like to waste money or spend twice. So in thinking I thought about thinks that interested me and areas I may venture into (Wreck/caverm etc.) So knowing this I needed a B/C that Would be able to do all those things and grow with me. Thats when my LDS showed me some Bp/W and variations. (DiveRite Transpac/Halcyon Eclipse/OMS/HOG/Hollis and a few others) I purchased the Halcyon Eclipse. I liked the way it looked/Felt and they had a good deal on it and got a bonus Doubles wing for only 100 extra. which have not used yet.

From using the traditional jacket in the 1st 2 pool sessions to the Halcyon System. I did notice a difference. 1st I liked that I did not need a weight belt or the need for a bunch of lead on waist or in pockets. I later learned more about it's benefits about it helps to allow the diver to get more streamilined/Trim out better. It's got D-Rings standard to clip all your things off, Also good cause I have canister light.

The fact that you can switch between single/double tanks by just switching out the wing is really nice. Best thing to do is actually go into a couple stores and chek out different ones. Try them each on and see what you like best. My instructor we had dove the transpac and loves it. A few others Had the Halcyon. I liked it personally as did not like the clip/straps that the diverite had on it. PLus thought Halcyon looked cooler.

Freedom of movement and not having that all over tight feeling may be the reason. I went with the backplate because in my line of work i spend most of my dive on the bottom, on my belly looking for things and a jacket syle setup gets in the way. For some its more of a Ford/Chevy debate of which one is better. Some shops rent harness style rigs so that is always an option then you can decide for yourself which one you like better.

This being SB, you will get lots of advice on the pros of, so I will give you the cons. The switch will cost you money.

Then there's always the path of the rebreather.....If only I had an extra 10k (x 2 for me and my wife). I think the thing to do is find someone who is willing to let me try a rig and maybe in a pool would be best. Maybe i'll hate it or maybe i'll love it.

Ahh it's only money...I may only live once. At least thats one of the many excuses I like to use when i need to justify buying more gear. And I probably should mention I have an affinity for gear (you should see my basement, It looks like and outdoor store)

Where in northern Wva are you? I'm near washington pa and dive often. I;d be happy to let you try my single BPW set up if you'd like some time. I'll be at Mt Storm in mid sept and closer to home the next few weekends teaching.

Where in northern Wva are you? I'm near washington pa and dive often. I;d be happy to let you try my single BPW set up if you'd like some time. I'll be at Mt Storm in mid sept and closer to home the next few weekends teaching.

I live near morgantown. My wife and I dive Mt. Storm nearly every weekend. We mostly do skills and buoyancy work. Where do you dive near washington? Mt. Storm is getting seriously old (but it's warm)

This being SB, you will get lots of advice on the pros of, so I will give you the cons. The switch will cost you money.

Yeah, and then some.

Cos - if like me since the start of this year when I got my first BP/W, you'll start falling in love with it, start pricking around, getting your harness just so, learning where the hell to stow things, ignore your wife and children in the pursuit of perfection, then - in a blazing beam of light just after payday - realise that actually you need more and better of everything. Plus lots of little bits from expensive people like Halcyon where zip ties cost $40 for 2 (size S). Immediately having made this decision and subsequent spend you will realise that what you really wanted was twins. So go out and spend it all again except this time you have tanks too and now a fair amount of regs to your name too. You will likely at this point also need:
a) a larger house
b) a new wife
[edit: c) a good (yet inexpensive - you're poor now, remember) lawyer]

You can always console yourself that if and when you get off your lazy ass you can sell it all on e-bay but of course you won't. Even the poodle jacket holds fond memories and besides your too busy trying to remember which way the tri-glide actually goes. You will learn that making a mistake on your last shoulder d-ring on your one piece harness is a costly mistake indeed and one you will not make twice. Except you will.

All this notwithstanding you will likely never go back to a jacket BC. You'll have spent far too much money by now to ever admit you were wrong (which you weren't) :D

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom