SCUBA diving: a cure for eczema.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a fairly large patch of eczema on the back of my leg for about 10 years. At times it was mild, at times it would itch uncontrollably. I tried a number of treatments ranging from over-the-counter products, to prescriptions, to internet "miracle cures"; all of which helped, but none of which got rid of the eczema completely. A couple of years ago I started snorkeling and noticed after a day in the water that my skin, overall, felt softer and that the patch on the back of my leg didn't itch for a whole week (just kinda dawned on me one day: "Wow, I haven't scratched the back of my leg for a week."). I made the correlation between snorkeling and the improvement and figured the salt/plant particles/fish particles/bacteria/microorganisms must be responsible. I went snorkeling a couple of weeks later and the following day felt the back of my leg and noticed that it was smoother than it had been in quite some time. Not long after this I got SCUBA certified and started diving just about every week. After a couple of months I noticed that the eczema was gone. Not lessened, not improved...gone! I've continued to dive almost weekly for the last year and have yet to have it come back. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of a skin problem being improved or fully healed by ocean water?

Sounds great congratulations, Now just write something up and sell it for millions...

I have heard that some dermatologists recommend swimming in the ocean to help with eczema, but have absolutely no clue why it helps and in fact you would think it would make it worse since as a person without eczema my skin always feels pretty dry after being in the ocean.

As far as scuba making a bigger difference than just the ocean? I have no idea, I would look into studies having to do with the effect that nitrogen has on our immune system and cell repair (if any). And even if the effect is negative some forms of eczema are caused by an overactive immune system. The only other possibility might be the higher doses/concentration of oxygen at depth, oxygen has been proven to be very effective at helping or treating various problems and diseases but I would think that if that was the case you would see dermatologists recommending oxygen tanks/treatments to those with eczema.

Of course now that I am thinking about it, the use of hyperbaric chambers in traditional medicine (beyond treating DCS) is becoming more common. Scientists have found that it to be atleast somewhat effective at treating things, so it most likely has something to do with the combination of the oxygen and the density of the oxygen at depth or under pressure. Some random info I found: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, an Overview

And a list of the supposed benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
greatly increases oxygen concentration in all body tissues, even with reduced or blocked blood flow;

2) stimulates the growth of new blood vessels to locations with reduced circulation, improving blood flow to areas with arterial blockage;

3) causes a rebound arterial dilation after HBOT, resulting in an increased blood vessel diameter greater than when therapy began, improving blood flow to compromised organs;

4) stimulates an adaptive increase in superoxide dismutase (SOD), one of the body's principal, internally produced antioxidants and free radical scavengers; and,

5) aids the treatment of infection by enhancing white blood cell action and potentiating germ-killing antibiotics.

So, I would guess that the increased oxygen volume/pressure while scuba diving is atleast at a small level providing you with one of these benefits listed here.

So wait, does this all mean that scuba diving is actually good for your health and that California should de-classify it as a hazardous activity? :) And I wonder if you can file an insurance claim for the purchase of scuba gear and air fills for the treatment of eczema? :D

I've noticed that after a day of diving my Restless Leg Syndrome does not act up that night.

Although I guess somehow the benefits could be due to SCUBA that wasn't really what I was saying. I attribute the "cure" to being immersed in sea water 2 hours a day, 1 day a week for numerous weeks...and it just so happens the reason I was in the water so much was because of SCUBA. I think if I had become an avid snorkeler, or ocean swimmer, or surfer I would have experienced the same benefits. It's worth noting that, prior to diving and snorkeling, I would rarely go to the beach whereas post-certification I started going almost every week...even in the winter.

My eczema went away for my two weeks in Bonaire. Came right back a week after I got home. I think I need to move somewhere with an ocean. In fact, my Tricare should pay for it!

I have eczema on my hands and feet and have noticed the same thing after scuba diving. Mine never goes away but it definatly improves.

Add another voice to the choir of skin improvement after being in the ocean. Though I notice a benefit from springs dive as well. Not quite as much though.

I've had eczema ever since I was a child and been going to a dermatologist for treatment for as long as I can remember. The doc said that salt water does indeed help it. We have a water softening system at our house that uses salt and it vary rarely flares up. However I do know from past experiences that it just comes and goes whenever. Like I said I had it for 15+ years on my elbows and then it just went away and 3 or 4 years later it just came back like overnight. Now it is gone again. Sunlight also helps it. Also, a person is more susceptible in the winter time for getting ezcema because it normally appears in places that are covered up. In the summer time, it has a tendency to go away due to the sunlight because you are wearing shorts and t-shirts. As far as treatment goes, I've used antibiotics and creams and the later seems to do the best. Also, look at what kind of bath soap you are using. The doc recommended me to use Dove bar soap because there is something in it that the other soaps don't offer that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom