Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arian340

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

First of all thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I have searched everywhere for answers and am struggling at the moment, with my mental health taking a decline.

CONTEXT

I live in the United Kingdom / England and recently was diagnosed with DCS whilst on a trip in the Maldives. I have done about 12 dives in total and am a OW diver. On my trip I did 4 dives all with a single safety stop (profile below).

14th:
PADI refresher (no problems - 18m depth)

15th:
- dive 1: 1pm, 22m depth, 33 mins. I was very low on oxygen when surfacing and had to use buddy’s oxygen. There was a very strong current causing more exertion and a bit of stress. Upon surfacing I had nausea but thought this was due to small boat and sea sickness.

- dive 2: 2.30pm, 20m depth, 40 mins (still had nausea but not severe)

16th august:
6pm, 10.2m depth, 53 mins

To provide more context. I started feeling nausea after the first dive on the 15th. I had fatigue in the evening and in my right leg calf but chalked this up to me not diving for a while and exertion. The next day (16th) I started getting headaches (on and off) and spells of mild dizzyness but again, it wasn’t severe so thought it was unrelated to diving (this was accompanied by bouts of unsteadiness). On the 17th I began getting a tingling feeling in my left arm and after 2/3 hours of this was in a hospital being assessed. I was assessed, given blood tests and told that I likely have type 1 DCS (this was later changed to type 2).

TREATMENT

In this order over three days: 1. HBOT US Navy Table 5, 2. Table 6, 3. Table 6 (12.5 hours).

Medication whilst in hospital:
- oxygen
- IV fluids
- Ondansetron 4mg iv stat
- Pantoprazole 40mg if stat and OD

I was initially given a table 5 as the doctor thought it wasn’t serious however, I saw no improvement.

Overnight, I began getting a tingling feeling in my right leg in addition to my left arm. The next day I was given a table 6, showing minor improvement. I was also made to do an MRI of my brain and cervical spine which were normal.

The third day, I was again given a table 6 with more improvement and minimal tingling left in my left arm and right leg.

At this point I was told that I had enough HBOT treatment and that my prognosis was good.

POST TREATMENT

Medication:
- pregarbalin 75mg once per day for 2 weeks
- mecobion 1 tab for 2 weeks
- Donoan OD PO OD for 5 days
- Allegra 180 mg PO OD for 7 days

2 months later I am currently still presenting symptoms of a weak right leg that is sensitive to hot temperature (can still walk and do most things, just weaker). I also have nausea, a persistent headache in my lower back head and a stiff neck.

I have seen a neurosurgeon and a ENT who have both done MRIs and in-person tests. Both have told me that the MRIs are completely normal and that I should be fine. Despite this, they both acknowledged that they don’t have experience with DCS as the doctors are both in London. I have since read on scientific journals that normal MRI imaging does not necessarily result in full recovery which has made me doubt their advice.

Does anyone have any advice for what my recovery might look like and what I should do next? I am really struggling at the moment and my mental health has taken a massive decline. Any words of advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Contact Divers Alert Network in North Carolina if you havent already. They are on the board and will probably respond tomorrow.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Contact Divers Alert Network in North Carolina if you havent already. They are on the board and will probably respond tomorrow.

Best of luck with your recovery.
Thanks for your response. I’m new to the page and I can’t seem to find them on here. Do you mean contact them over the phone or do they have an account on the board? Thanks again!

Thanks for your response. I’m new to the page and I can’t seem to find them on here. Do you mean contact them over the phone or do they have an account on the board? Thanks again!

They monitor this forum and they will respond soon.

I believe they go by Duke Dive Medicine on the board (based at Duke University).

You can reach out directly via phone 919-684-2948 during US business hours or online at DAN.org.

Hi all,

First of all thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I have searched everywhere for answers and am struggling at the moment, with my mental health taking a decline.

CONTEXT

I live in the United Kingdom / England and recently was diagnosed with DCS whilst on a trip in the Maldives. I have done about 12 dives in total and am a OW diver. On my trip I did 4 dives all with a single safety stop (profile below).

14th:
PADI refresher (no problems - 18m depth)

15th:
- dive 1: 1pm, 22m depth, 33 mins. I was very low on oxygen when surfacing and had to use buddy’s oxygen. There was a very strong current causing more exertion and a bit of stress. Upon surfacing I had nausea but thought this was due to small boat and sea sickness.

- dive 2: 2.30pm, 20m depth, 40 mins (still had nausea but not severe)

16th august:
6pm, 10.2m depth, 53 mins

To provide more context. I started feeling nausea after the first dive on the 15th. I had fatigue in the evening and in my right leg calf but chalked this up to me not diving for a while and exertion. The next day (16th) I started getting headaches (on and off) and spells of mild dizzyness but again, it wasn’t severe so thought it was unrelated to diving (this was accompanied by bouts of unsteadiness). On the 17th I began getting a tingling feeling in my left arm and after 2/3 hours of this was in a hospital being assessed. I was assessed, given blood tests and told that I likely have type 1 DCS (this was later changed to type 2).

TREATMENT

In this order over three days: 1. HBOT US Navy Table 5, 2. Table 6, 3. Table 6 (12.5 hours).

Medication whilst in hospital:
- oxygen
- IV fluids
- Ondansetron 4mg iv stat
- Pantoprazole 40mg if stat and OD

I was initially given a table 5 as the doctor thought it wasn’t serious however, I saw no improvement.

Overnight, I began getting a tingling feeling in my right leg in addition to my left arm. The next day I was given a table 6, showing minor improvement. I was also made to do an MRI of my brain and cervical spine which were normal.

The third day, I was again given a table 6 with more improvement and minimal tingling left in my left arm and right leg.

At this point I was told that I had enough HBOT treatment and that my prognosis was good.

POST TREATMENT

Medication:
- pregarbalin 75mg once per day for 2 weeks
- mecobion 1 tab for 2 weeks
- Donoan OD PO OD for 5 days
- Allegra 180 mg PO OD for 7 days

2 months later I am currently still presenting symptoms of a weak right leg that is sensitive to hot temperature (can still walk and do most things, just weaker). I also have nausea, a persistent headache in my lower back head and a stiff neck.

I have seen a neurosurgeon and a ENT who have both done MRIs and in-person tests. Both have told me that the MRIs are completely normal and that I should be fine. Despite this, they both acknowledged that they don’t have experience with DCS as the doctors are both in London. I have since read on scientific journals that normal MRI imaging does not necessarily result in full recovery which has made me doubt their advice.

Does anyone have any advice for what my recovery might look like and what I should do next? I am really struggling at the moment and my mental health has taken a massive decline. Any words of advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Hi, welcome to SB and thanks for the detailed description. For clarity, the Duke Dive Medicine account does not represent DAN. DAN and Duke are two separate entities though they have a long association.

Residual DCS symptoms do tend to resolve over time. How does what you're experiencing now compare to how you felt at the end of your final chamber treatment?

MRI and other imaging like CT are not diagnostic for DCS, so a clear MRI doesn't mean that your residual symptoms are not caused by DCS.

I recommend you go to the UK Diving Medical Committee website and find a medical referee in your area who is trained in diving medicine. They will help you sort through your symptoms.

Best regards,
DDM

I hope you recover fully and soon.

dive 1: 1pm, 22m depth, 33 mins. I was very low on oxygen when surfacing and had to use buddy’s oxygen.
I'm not trying to split hairs here but you were breathing AIR, not oxygen. O2 should have been given at the surface once it was thought you may have had a dcs hit.
MRI imaging does not necessarily result in full recovery which has made me doubt their advice.
MRI is just an in depth image the doctors can use to help diagnose you, it offers zero treatment.
Does anyone have any advice for what my recovery might look like and what I should do next?
Keep pressing on. If I remember correctly @Trace Malinowski had a bad dcs hit that has taken many years of recovery and a few long term affects.

Hi, welcome to SB and thanks for the detailed description. For clarity, the Duke Dive Medicine account does not represent DAN. DAN and Duke are two separate entities though they have a long association.

Residual DCS symptoms do tend to resolve over time. How does what you're experiencing now compare to how you felt at the end of your final chamber treatment?

MRI and other imaging like CT are not diagnostic for DCS, so a clear MRI doesn't mean that your residual symptoms are not caused by DCS.

I recommend you go to the UK Diving Medical Committee website and find a medical referee in your area who is trained in diving medicine. They will help you sort through your symptoms.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi DDM,

Thanks for the quick response and advice. I do feel better already but, the unknown is making it a difficult mental battle. Whilst I appreciate that a clear MRI doesn’t mean I’m clear of residual symptoms, is it a good sign at least? The difficulty with speaking to referees at the moment is the waiting times on the NHS. I will keep trying to get some time with an approved referee.

I was hoping to understand what I might expect in the meantime. I’m 27 years old, relatively fit and yeah, I think just understanding what the road might look like would be good. If this is neuropathy, is it progressive kind of thing? What have other people been through?

Thanks again DDM, and everyone else on here for your advice.

Hi DDM,

Thanks for the quick response and advice. I do feel better already but, the unknown is making it a difficult mental battle. Whilst I appreciate that a clear MRI doesn’t mean I’m clear of residual symptoms, is it a good sign at least? The difficulty with speaking to referees at the moment is the waiting times on the NHS. I will keep trying to get some time with an approved referee.

I was hoping to understand what I might expect in the meantime. I’m 27 years old, relatively fit and yeah, I think just understanding what the road might look like would be good. If this is neuropathy, is it progressive kind of thing? What have other people been through?

Thanks again DDM, and everyone else on here for your advice.
Unfortunately a clear MRI does not correlate with DCS symptom recovery. The good news is that the vast majority of residual DCS symptoms do tend to resolve over time. It may take a while, but if you have been steadily improving there is good reason for optimism.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom