Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need an idea of the skill-set required to negotiate currents successfully. Is it primarily a comfort thing? A buoyancy thing? A strong swimming thing?

You see, I'm a greenhorn diver who lucked into this dive trip to a spot where the currents are, reportedly, pretty strong. So, obviously, the best thing for me to do would be to get as much practice as is possible in currents. The problem is, I live 5 hours from anywhere with a current and most of my dives have been in the quarry or in spots where there is only a little surge.

I'm planning a couple of baby trips to spots where I can get some practice in a current, but I'd like to have a clear idea of what I should be concentrating on when I'm there as well as take full advantage of still water to give my full attention to those elements of my practice which will help me most when the water starts moving.

What kind of diving are you going to be doing?

If you're diving from a live boat (which I'm kind of assuming as you booked this trip) You'll drop in the water up-current from the structure, float like superman past the structure, and surface for the boat to come to you. There are variations on this, lead diver tows a flag boat follows group and all surface together, etc. Usually the boat will have a float line trailing from it so that divers can grab hold for stability to pull yourself back. An smb may not be a bad idea in case you get pulled further than the boat anticipates. From an anchored boat is more like the shorediving below,

If you're shorediving you need to learn the current tables (different than tide tables) and how to determine slack (when the water is slow). This takes a little education you can glean from an experienced diver, but is less daunting than it first appears.

There's a couple sites out here where you can enter the water from shore on the flood current, ride a quarter-to-half mile to the objective, then look around until the tide turns and ride back to entry point. I'm still looking for an experienced diver to do this with, sounds exciting.

Is it a comfort thing? Yes, like everything else in scuba, comfort comes with training and experience.

It is a buoyancy thing? Yes, everything in scuba depends on good buoyancy and trim.

Is it a strong swimming thing? DEFINITELY NOT. If you try swimming hard in scuba, you just burn through your air.

Local ocean currents are often strongest at the surface, and less at the bottom. However in some places, the opposite is true, where some sort of underwater bottle-neck exists, like a dip between two reefs.

The first skill you need to develop for diving in currents is to be able to clear your ears quickly during a fast descent. If the current is strongest near the surface, and less near the bottom, you want to be able to drop down quickly, under the surface current. To do that, you need to be able to clear your ears on descent quickly. Normally you would be descending an anchor line. Even then, descending quickly saves air compared with pulling yourself down hand over hand slowly.

One trick for fast and continuous ear clearing on descent is to press your right hand against the top of your mask, and exhale through your nose on every breath. The slight increased resistance of pressing on your mask with your right hand will act like a mild valsalva procedure, and help your ears to clear more quickly.

The next skill you need to develop is to be able to swim just barely off the bottom, under the current. Since you do not want to scrape against coral, you need good buoyancy skills to do this. The best buoyancy results from proper weighting. Overweighting will make good buoyancy impossible.

Another not so obvious skill you need to develop is the discipline of following your local divemasters. They will be swimming through the crags and crannys where the current is least. You will want to follow them as precisely as possible. If you do not, you will need to kick harder against the current, and your air will then be consumed faster than the others in your group who are following the divemaster better than you are.

There are some swift underwater currents that you can only deal with effectively by holding onto rocky outcroppings. The trick there is to hold on firmly and not let go. You can always pull yourself along with less exertion than it woudl take to kick with your fins against a strong current.

Kicking with your fins always consumes more air than sculling properly with your fins. Your fin movements underwater should always be minimal. On a perfect dive, whether a boat dive or beach dive, you would drop down onto your dive site from directly above with little or no fin action, then hover in the location of your dive with little or no fin action, and then return to the surface after your dive with minimal fin action, all while perfectly neutrally buoyant. That way your air will last twice as long as it otherwise would.

Do not forget your 3 to 5 minute safety stop. In strong currents, the only possible way to accomplish this without being blown downstream away from the boat is to stick to your anchor line. A short jon line for connecting to the anchor line will make it easier to hold onto the anchor line for 3 to 5 minutes in a current.

Be very, very careful in strong underwater currents. Stay with your group. Do not get separated.

Carry an inflatable orange signalling sausage in your B/C pocket or clipped to a D-ring in case you do get washed downstream and the boat has to find you later on the surface.

It's definitely a comfort thing. Something you can do to help better prepare is to learn as much as you can about the sites you'll be visiting.

Will the entry/exit be from a "live" boat, a "fixed" boat, or from shore? Your approach to the dive will be different for each of these scenarios. FWIW - drift diving from a live boat is a blast, and is typically pretty easy ... you just make like a piece of flotsam and go with the flow.

What's the topography? Is it coral? Rock? Sand or mud bottom? Are there walls? Ledges? Pinnacles? Knowing this info helps you better prepare in terms of weighting. Someone said buoyancy control is key ... that's generally true, but not always. Sometimes you want to be slightly overweighted to be better able to deal with topography that creates upwellings. This is especially true when diving in shallow areas with boat traffic.

How much current are you really talking about? You can comfortably swim against 1/4 knot, and hold your position against 1/2 knot ... but don't even try to swim upstream in any thing greater than a knot ... you'll just wear yourself out.

Make sure you ask the person leading the dive about contingency plans. We dive in current all the time here in Puget Sound ... and one thing I will tell you is that current predictions are just that ... "predictions" ... often only slightly more accurate than weather predictions. Before you get in the water, make sure you've discussed with the dive leader what to do if currents are stronger than planned ... or if you hit upwellings or downwellings. The answer will vary from dive site to dive site, and only the person familiar with the site can give you accurate information on what to do.

One thing you can do even in the quarry (if you haven't already) ... get out there and get the hang of towing a dive flag. Many drift dives require it, and it's not a skill you want to learn while getting used to current that you've never had to deal with before.

Oh, and the safety sausage is an excellent idea. A whistle or Dive Alert is another.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks ya'll for the pointers. The vibe I'm getting from all this is that to dive in a current you need to know how to stay out of it or use it.

For a little more on the story: it's a liveabord which is anchoring (and sometimes not) near little, very rocky islands. The one bit that is making me nervous in all their advertisements is the part about how on some dive you need to descend some distance away from the islands to avoid the surf, approach the rocks for the dive, then swim back out under the surf to ascend back to the boat.

This all at Mona Island off Puerto Rico (I posted a query on the place in the "Carribean" board, but the few responses indicate few people have been there or few people give a crap) if that makes any difference.

Definitely get a sausage. If you have any anxiety about getting separated from the group, it will make you feel a whole lot better. It's not an excuse for purposely lagging behind but if it happens, it will be a heck of a lot easier for the boat to find you.

Like the other posters mentioned, it depends on where you're diving.

For instance, drift dives are great, hop off, decend, drift, safely ascend boat picks you up.

Some dives, like theEagle, Dwayne, Spiegle Grove and others in the Keys are ones where you are going to have to try and make it back up a mooring line. You can usually stay down current and use the structure of the wreck to help break the current. When you come around a corner be careful not to have the current take your mask away!

Safety Sausages and Dive Alerts are GREAT equipment. I wouldn't dive without them.

Back
Top Bottom