Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Age 10 Seems Too Young for Certification

Registered

Take the High Road

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Age 10 Seems Too Young for Certification

I was in a dive shop today and two 10 year old boys were getting their rental 7mm wetsuits for a certification dive for Monterey this weekend. Monterey is cold water, poor visibility and has a good deal of surge. They looked even younger than 10 because they were small children.

I guess PADI approves this but I would not let a 10-year-old dive in the cold Monterey waters. I just find it hard to believe that a 10 year old has the mental and emotional maturity to handle the intensity of scuba diving and dire results of panic or foolhardy behavior of a pre-teen.

Just my opinion.

Rejecting Reality

Somewhere out there

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I disagree. I have taught more than a few who were absolutely ready and capable of problem solving and being a full buddy.
    My daughter was a future buddy at 9, and then took the regular OW course at 10. She was much better than the adults in the class. Since then, she is now 13 and has almost 200 dives and some challenging conditions. She fossil dives in Charleston in the Cooper River, she is night, wreck, and deep certified, and is our guinea pig for new DMC's and AI's going through the instructor course. My son started at 11years old. He is now rescue certified. I trust them in hard situations and have seen them handle potential emergencies. No problems.
    Besides her, I have seen more than a few who were imminently ready. They stay within limits better than adults and are solid divers. I have also had those who I would not certify because they were not mature enough or just not ready. The instructor has to make the call with them, just like anyone else they teach.
    Don't discount all because of age.
    Stupid should be painful.

PoseidonDiveCompany.com

Life is short, so go on and live it.

Registered

Take the High Road

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I am glad that ZenDiver has had very positive experiences with his talented children.

The article below offers some interesting incites.

Here is an article from Dr. Larry "Harris" Taylor "Why I Do NOT Train Kids".

Why I Do NOT Train Kids In Scuba Diving

Dive Articles by Larry "Harris" Taylor

He is the Diving Safety Coordinator at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    My only consideration would be a physiological one.

In some, it seems the more predominate change between
    young-peoplehood and departure.

Registered

is statused.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    I've allowed some to take the class, I've denied others. If you'd walked in and seen a 22 year old fit male angry because the instructor wouldn't train him, would there be a post saying how absurd that is? Because I've told several 20-30 year olds I won't train them because they don't have the maturity to take the course. It's a case by case basis for me.
    Nick Bostic - Online Community Manager for LP
    Facebook | Twitter | (503) 662-2260 | nickb@LeisurePro.com

Founder of New SCUBA Marketing
    Facebook | Twitter | (503) 662-2260 | nick@newscubamarketing.com

too long 'til Palau

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Registered

Four more years without a
    president.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    I, like many others here on the board, started diving at the age of 11, back in 1965. I think I came out all right.

NAVED #142

Montani Semper Liberi

Rejecting Reality

Somewhere out there

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am glad that ZenDiver has had very positive experiences with his talented children.

The article below offers some interesting incites.

Here is an article from Dr. Larry "Harris" Taylor "Why I Do NOT Train Kids".

Why I Do NOT Train Kids In Scuba Diving

Dive Articles by Larry "Harris" Taylor

He is the Diving Safety Coordinator at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
    I read the whole document/slideshow. He seems to have a large axe to grind. His repeated implications that those of us who allow our kids to dive or teach others who are under his chosen age limit, are unsuitable terrible people is rather glaring and ridiculous.

Zendiver is a she, and I have had more than just those positive experiences. My children are no different than any of the many I have chosen to train. I have made every single child take the full adult course, with no dumbing down of the instruction. They were held to the same high standard I hold any other diver to. Some were able to do it, some I did not allow certification or training. Every one was an individual determination, just as I do with over 18 yr olds who want to train.

This article is not inciteful, however. This has all been discussed before.
    Stupid should be painful.

PoseidonDiveCompany.com

Life is short, so go on and live it.

NAUI Instructor

needs a dive vacation

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    ZenDiver,

I have known Dr. Harris for almost 25 years. He is definitely one of the most gifted and smartest individuals I have met in dive training. He is a "noted expert" in diving physics, physiology and "high current diving." His only flaw is that he tells it as it is without any sugar coating. He doesn't care much about agencies so desperate to make money and them lowering their training and/or age standards.

Although it is always your choice to choose what is best for you and your kids but you should study his point of view very carefully.

It should be noted that NAUI still has the minimum age for training children at 12 years old.
    You should have been here yesterday, diving was great all week LAST week!!!

If you don't trust them to drive your most expensive car, you can't trust them to dive

http://www.facebook.com/BurhanMuntasserPhoto

Has not set a "status"

This article was orginally published in the Sep '01 issue of Undercurrent (Scuba Diving Magazine, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts, Liveaboards, & Diving Gear). It was subsequently reprinted in the journal of the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society (Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society > Home ( DNN 3.2.2 )).

The Minds and Bodies of Children: Are They Really Suited to Scuba? (Doc Vikingo's Children & Diving)

Regards,

DocVikingo
    Last edited by DocVikingo; December 9th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast