Best way to use reel for ascent line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know a trick other than making a "loop" to the surface so you can retrieve all or most of your line but still ascend while anchored to something? Indian rope trick knots or anything like that?

Other than a last ditch emergency procedure, why would you want to?

String asks a good question. If you are ascending on a line from a reel or spool to a bag on the surface, what is wrong with reeling it in as you ascend?

I am cautioning you that this is not as easy as it sounds, but if you think you are going to be in situations where you will need this skill, then it might be a skill worth practicing.

Other than a last ditch emergency procedure, why would you want to?

I'm with string on this one, other than an emergency, why?

If you make sure your reel has at least 2x the line capacity vs. the depth of the wreck you can always set up what you call the 'loop' method, at least that is what I think you're talking about...shoot a bag to the surface from the wreck, feed your your reel under something on the wreck and then ascend playing out line as your ascend. It is a 2:1 pulley system.

...or just send a bag up and ascend under that without tying yourself to the wreck!

The only theoretical reason I could see to do this would be if there was a current and you didn't want to be swept from the dive site. That would assume that the boat wasn't able to pick you up.

However, in reality (not theory) any current would play a big role in making such an ascent very difficult - causing a pendulum effect, that would prevent you from ascending.

If there isn't current, or if the boat can collect you, then a free ascent, under a DSMB is optimal. If there is current, then you should have planned your ascent in advance... and found a better solution than 'up-lining' from the site.

Two reels, disposable line with a tough leader.

Without a Jearsey reel or equivelant, pulling that manuever in the northeast will let you hear the sound of your reel line breaking under tension for a gut check moment. The last possible option here is to launch bag and ascend while drifting. Even this is a skill that MUST be practiced to be effective.
Eric

What knowone said.

There are two schools of thought here. One is shoot a bag on a reel or spool and deco under it and drift and hope the bat finds you. The other is tie to the wreck and come up under the bag staying in one place. You need to pick the right tool for the right job. I dive and teach mostly in New England. Here we tie off to the wreck so the boat can find you again. If not it could take hours for divers to finish there deco, on hook from the wreck and come and find you.
When we go down south we do alot of drifting decos because that is what the boats are set up for. So what i would do if i was you is talk to the people around you. Find out what is common where you dive. I would not worry about discarding some line. Whats you life worth. Also when we tie into a wreck we like heavy line #36 or #48 is the best.
just my $0.02,
Rick

Back
Top Bottom