Cupcakes at 70ft....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sohnje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Once again, it is that time of year where myself and fellow accomplices take various items to depth to see how water pressure effects the object. It's a way to keep entertained as well as make for some fun discussion.

Would like to hear others experiences as well. This past holiday weekend yielded the following:

1. Chocolate cream filled cupcakes totally collapse/compress at 70ft., but continued to taste awesome during surface intervals. (cupcakes were in factory plastic wrap.)

2. Fruit filled snack pies collapse at 12 ft and are too mushy to eat once opened.

3. Nothing happens to poptarts down to 90ft.

4. Slim jims can be enjoyed at any depth with no ill effects.

5. Steaks marinade much quicker and are very tender after a 20 minutes dive at 65ft. _ Put in plastic freezer bags with marinade and it was shrinked wrapped at depth.

6. Boneless chicken breasts marinade just as well as the steaks.

7. If you fill an empty plastic soda bottle with air at 60ft, cap it and let it go to surface, you can actually hear it pop at around 20ft on way to surface.

8. Soda doesnt fizz at 55ft. It just stays in bottle no matter how hard you shook it before opening.

9. Playdough significantly compresses at 50ft. A Playdough ball the size of a Baseball shrinks down to size of a large marble. (Oh no Mr. Bill!!!)

10. You can apply water proof mascara at a depth of 45ft, it took skill, but actually worked. Why you would want to do this ...I have no idea.... but female team member thought it would be cool. Same with lipstick, which only compressed slightly, but was still useable.

11. Chocolate covered oreos were good at any depth. the chocolate coating kept the cookie dry and tasty. Nice treat when doing a deco stop.

12. Eating underwater should be a skill added to all scuba course work.

10. You can apply water proof mascara at a depth of 45ft, it took skill, but actually worked. Why you would want to do this ...I have no idea.... but female team member thought it would be cool. Same with lipstick, which only compressed slightly, but was still useable.

:rofl3: Wow! That's a pretty impressive list. Many of these I would have never thought of. I wish you had video of this one! Weird to imagine.

All the eating underwater is very interesting. I guess if you're doing a long deco dive that could come in handy. Maybe I should pack some goldfish in a baggie for my next dive. Lol.

hrrm, going to have to get in on this. Only tried beef jerky and gatorade pouches. Good idea with the marinade, could be fun to leave with the O2 bottle to have everything done when we get out...

Thanks for the front-row seat to this cutting-edge research. You and your team are the Watson and Crick, the Madame Curie, the Manhattan Project of underwater eating research! True pioneers. :D

I have taken a packet drink and a banana to eat during deco stops, works well and the fish like to swim around and eat the banana skin.

My God, I can barely get mascara on myself on dry land and in front of a mirror! That's impressive; my hat's off to her.

I like the idea of marinating a steak, keep it cool and ready to grill upon exiting the water,also cell phones can receive calls and ring inside a dry suit at around 5 feet, not that i intended to test that one.:shakehead:

:rofl3: Please tell me you had your buddy answer it for you.
You know you can hold a conversation if you talk through an inflated glove....

:rofl2: <-btw I can see why rofl2 was skipped on the emoticon list :shocked2:

To the OP:
I'd be interested to see how a MRE or wilderness meal would taste underwater *hint-hint* :wink:

Last edited:
I like the idea of marinating a steak, keep it cool and ready to grill upon exiting the water,also cell phones can receive calls and ring inside a dry suit at around 5 feet, not that i intended to test that one.:shakehead:

:rofl3: Please tell me you had your buddy answer it for you.

:rofl2: <-btw I can see why rofl2 was skipped on the emoticon list :shocked2:

Cool list. All I've ever tried was cracking eggs at 70 ft and playing volleyball with the yokes. The fish love it when they break and the crawdads loved the shells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom