Any other "Agency-Neutral" divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's the thing... (Linda, Becker, -nevermind, your aren't old enough...)

I'm trying to get to the deeper wrecks my own way (slow, deliberate, and resonably safe) by a progression of courses from instructors that look interesting. Seems to be working. This goes way back to my two OW courses, one NAUI, the other PADI because I wanted instruction from two different and very interesting instructors. Most worthwhile outcome. Just finished a great rescue course (and looking forward to a promising solo course) that got me thinking.

Is there anyone else out there in ScubaBoard land that doesn't feel some strong attraction to one agency or another???

I don't feel strong attraction to any agency. If you find an instructor to teach you what you want to learn, that is more important in my book than who you ultimately get the card from.

Sure there are minimum standards set forth for a specific course, but ultimately its the quality of the instructor that makes the education part a success or failure.

Only to:
PDIC
NAUI
PADi
and SSI.......

Mmmmmm I guess not. :)

Pete

I got the OW through an instructor with SDI and AOW with PADI. I noticed no difference and have no weak or strong attraction with either. To me, they are all the same except for name. Quite frankly however, on second thought, the lady instructor with PADI did hold my attention.

It's like fruit.

Like you I have tried apples, bananas and oranges.

And I don't prefer one over another.

But I always make sure I shop for good quality fruit.

I posted this thread on a whim, but I have to admit, lovin'n the mindset of the responders.

-and I thought I was the only one on the planet...

BTW: Garrobo gets a pass for his preference, he has a rock solid reason. :D

Is there anyone else out there in ScubaBoard land that doesn't feel some strong attraction to one agency or another???
Well, I'm a bit heavy on the NAUI side, but that's because I found a local tech instructor I really liked ... but I tend to look at goals first, instructor second, and agency incidentally ...

certcards2.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a recreational diver: I don't have any courses I want to do. In the past, I alternated between 2 different agencies (BSAC and PADI), because they were the only ones that I saw available in my area.

As a technical diver: It's ALL about the instructor, not the agency.

As an recreational instructor: I base any instructor development on ROI (return on investment). Previous training has been in 3 agencies. I've only progressed with one of them during the last 3 years for ROI reasons.

As a technical instructor: I'm actively considering a cross-over to an alternative agency, so that the course standards might better reflect my personal preferences and views.

Well, I'm a bit heavy on the NAUI side, but that's because I found a local tech instructor I really liked ... but I tend to look at goals first, instructor second, and agency incidentally ...

certcards2.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

-you are the "poster boy", I'll be gettin' there someday...:D

As a recreational diver: I don't have any courses I want to do. In the past, I alternated between 2 different agencies (BSAC and PADI), because they were the only ones that I saw available in my area.

As a technical diver: It's ALL about the instructor, not the agency.

As an recreational instructor: I base any instructor development on ROI (return on investment). Previous training has been in 3 agencies. I've only progressed with one of them during the last 3 years for ROI reasons.

As a technical instructor: I'm actively considering a cross-over to an alternative agency, so that the course standards might better reflect my personal preferences and views.

My offer stands, Andy.

Call me if you are ever teaching in the Northeast US!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom