A new way to look at dive planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
here an example of a dive trip of 3 multi-level dives planned with divePAL Full.

Can you see how the nitrogen loading is changing during the day?

Fascinating!
divePAL_full_20110915_x800.jpg

I wish I could see the picture. Other than that this feels like an advertisement
:mooner:

I wish I could see the picture. ....
here you go ... click on the icons
Dive 1
divePAL_full_bis_d1.jpg

Dive 2
divePAL_full_bis_d2.jpg

Dive 3
divePAL_full_bis_d3.jpg

Pretty cool. Can't wait till the Oceanic interface is complete for full log support.

available in Suunto Dive Planner since a couple of years

Call me a dinosaur, but I like hands on dive planning with tables and confirmation of proper planning through computer monitoring during the dive. I even note pressure groups following dives in my dive log (a dive pro habit). My wife/divebuddy Debbie and I do a lot of independent diving. We plan each dive and follow each plan. We monitor our gauges during the dive, and log every dive. I guess if your dive plan is to follow the DM and then read a computer after the fact to see what you did, technology is great. Plus, I don't always "get" the new technology. That is, what is the the practical aspect of it that makes me a better or safer diver. Yet there are those who do get it. I say use whatever dive planning tools, tables or computer programs, that aid you in planning and carrying out safe dives.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

....... I guess if your dive plan is to follow the DM and then read a computer after the fact to see what you did, technology is great. .....
That is NOT the intent here.

What we are advocating (for multi-levels dives) instead is:

1) PLAN: Use technology to graphically draw profiles of your dives and analyze the relevant variables (NDT, Gas Consumption, O2 loading, Nitrogen Loading .....).
As an example, in the image below I am analyzing my Nitrogen Loading - by compartments - of the third dive of a planned dive trip.
divePAL_full_bis_d3.jpg

2) DIVE: Execute dives monitoring your dive computer and sticking to the dive plan as much as possible. If there are discrepancies between the dive plan and the dive computer AND if what the dive computer is telling you makes sense, then follow the dive computer as it has the most detailed info on your actual dive.

3) REVIEW: Use technology to review your dive and compare it against the original dive plan. More you know about your diving habit and about the dive locations you visit then a better diver you will become

So, this is really cool. I think I see what you're trying to provide, but I'm unsure about what actions I would take as a user that would be affected by this information.

Again though, very cool and I can totally geek out about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom