Failure to Deploy... SMB Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was doing my last 2 AOW dives.

Dive one, it's time to end the dive and start heading to our safety stop. I'm the only one on the dive with my instructor because I missed these dives due to getting sick. So he signals for me to deploy my sausage. I pull it out, grab my octo, put it under the smb, and away it goes. No problems whatsoever.

Surface interval: I retrieve my marker from the back of the boat after I got my bc off. It has about 6 inches of water in it. I deflate it and get get all the water out. I roll it tight and clip it back on my gear after moving my bc to my 2nd tank.

Dive two, it's time to end the dive again. My instructor signals for me to deploy again. I've got it out, got my octo again, I'm pumping air into the bottom, but nothing is happening. I give it about 5 pumps of air. I try smaller bursts of air. My instructors puts his hands out, so I give it to him. He tries two or 3 times and nothing. WTF? There's a small whole which should let air in from the bottom. We ended up doing an oral inflate to the valve. He says he's never seen that happen before. One of the other divers on the boat said that they'd seen it happen once.

Once I got on the boat, I did a visual on it and I could clearly see through the hole into the bladder area of the sausage. My guess is a little water was still in there and it was some how blocking the air from passing through. The water wanted to go down and the air wanted to go up and the hole wasn't large enough with the added pressure of depth. Just a guess.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I bought this SMB 8 Foot High Viz Orange SMB "Ocean Model" after seeing the Piranha rep post a link with some deals. It has the cheap plastic clip, so I removed it and put a metal ring and a brass bolt snap on it.

Last edited:
something to try. looks like this has the same low pressure inflator connection as mine. next time don't use you second stage instead disconnect your LP hose from you BCD open the valve on the SMB and push it onto the LP hose. it should fill no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

something to try. looks like this has the same low pressure inflator connection as mine. next time don't use you second stage instead disconnect your LP hose from you BCD open the valve on the SMB and push it onto the LP hose. it should fill no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We actually discussed this as a possible inflation technique during the surface interval. My instructor had an extra lp hose with a noise maker that we could have done it with too. I haven't tried it yet, but does the hose "snap" in or just creates a good seal and in goes the air? If I had tanks at home, I'd test this out, but I don't.

The LP inflator hose does not click in to the inflator. It merely allows the air to flow into the SMB. Same as taking a screwdriver to a valve on a tire to let air out of it. Same schrader valve in fact as in a tire is in the LP hose.

I always put a tiny amount of air orally to get the smb standing up straight. Doing this might unravel whatever was causing your problem.

I have constant problems with it. The bottom of your open smb has a one-way valve-like constriction.. right? You send air into the bag, but the valve says shut and no air goes in the bag, it just by-passes and goes around the bag..

You just gotta play with it a little, ,ake sure the bottom is wide open, stick the reg in past the "lips" of the smb and then purge.. Sometimes it works perfectly other times, it takes a while to get everything lined up so the air goes in,

Maybe somebody else has the problem/solution figured out better than me?

This SMB A.P.Valves will solve all of those problems. Refill the wee bottle back on the boat from your DIN valve.

The LP inflator hose does not click in to the inflator. It merely allows the air to flow into the SMB. Same as taking a screwdriver to a valve on a tire to let air out of it. Same schrader valve in fact as in a tire is in the LP hose.

Ok, good to know! It wouldn't make sense if it clicked in because that would be an accident waiting to happen.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 04:18 PM ----------

I always put a tiny amount of air orally to get the smb standing up straight. Doing this might unravel whatever was causing your problem.

I'll try that next time. I was hoping to do the same thing with smaller bursts of air.

This SMB A.P.Valves will solve all of those problems. Refill the wee bottle back on the boat from your DIN valve.

That is a great idea. Especially considering that the times you could most use an smb are sometimes when you are least able to inflate one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom