conditions at other places (other than So Cal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have only dove here in So Cal, mostly shore dives in Laguna Beach. We have had a couple bad weekends diving-conditions-wise. Being from here, surf entry and exit is no problem but the poor viz it brings is a drag. I found myself wondering if this is a problem in other places in the US like, Florida, Gulf of Mexico, NW or East Coast. How often do conditions around the country mess with your diving?

This is one of the reasons I say Puget Sound is one of the best places you can be a diver. On almost any day when you would be willing to be outside long enough to go diving, there is someplace you can dive. We do have short periods of really horrible viz, both after heavy winter storms and during the algae blooms in the summer, but such periods are not usually very long -- a few days -- and we have reasonable viz between times. Although wind-driven waves and current can render some specific sites unattractive, there are almost always protected places, often quite nearby. We do have to take tides and currents into consideration at the majority of our sites, but mostly that's timing, not being unable to dive.

Don't have an answer to your question, but I also want to lodge a complaint about the shore diving conditions down here lately (Laguna)...I feel your pain!

Florida can have variable dive conditions based upon rain and current but in my experience the worst of conditions have a lot better vizibility than in Socal. (with some exceptions) More likeley to mess with diving is currents from the Guilf strwam as it meanders closer to shore from time to time.
DivemasterDennis

I dive mainly NC coast and the Florida Keys out of Key Largo. Viz can vary anywhere. Having said that:

-In over 50 dives out of Key Largo, in all 4 seasons, the absolutely worse viz I have every seen was at least 20 ft. They complain if it is even 30 ft but I have never seen what I would call terrible viz. I don't think they know what low viz and cold water really is.

-In about 100 dives off the NC coast, it is all over the place. Especially after a storm. It can also vary greatly from one spot to another. I have seen 20/30 and over 80 on the same day on dives in the same general area. Worse viz was about 5 ft inshore or offshore. Best viz close to 100.

This is one of the reasons I say Puget Sound is one of the best places you can be a diver. On almost any day when you would be willing to be outside long enough to go diving, there is someplace you can dive. We do have short periods of really horrible viz, both after heavy winter storms and during the algae blooms in the summer, but such periods are not usually very long -- a few days -- and we have reasonable viz between times. Although wind-driven waves and current can render some specific sites unattractive, there are almost always protected places, often quite nearby. We do have to take tides and currents into consideration at the majority of our sites, but mostly that's timing, not being unable to dive.

Hello from across the straight.

In Victoria BC, if you look at it, we are almost surrounded by water within a half hour drive from downtown. What that means it when it is horrible in one spot, a different spot is good.

So here is it 3 weeks later and conditions in Laguna have not improved. Luckily my buddy took me to Catalina on his boat last weekend. We were going to dive Black Point but windlass issues made pulling up 80 feet of chain and anchor questionable. So we moored at Indian Rock and dove the snot out of that. Viz was 30 feet, water was 72 at surface and 62 at depth. Saw my first Moray Eel and a couple of biggest bugs I've ever seen. Great dive. Heading back over week after next to try Yellowtail Point.

John--jump the ditch boyo.Come to NZ and dive the Poor Knights (60 foot viz) Or do Rarotonga-The stuff to see if you dive with Cook Island divers is fantastic. OR Fiji -all year round its warm (for us kiwi's) and a huge variety of diving.

John, I feel your pain. I dove Shaw's last weekend because I couldn't take it anymore. Conditions sucked. What is going on?!

Same here in Palos Verdes, LA county. VIS has been bad for quite some time now.
Was thinking of making a trip down to Laguna but have heard the VIS not so good there either.
I have been going over to Catalina where the VIS is usually better.

Back
Top Bottom