What Happens When You Just Have To GO!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know I'm not the only one with this experience but perhaps I'm the only one sharing it.

I did a lot of traveling when younger and developed a pretty touchie stomach.

I was on a dive with a couple friends spearfishing. We normally split up so I took off to a great area with a small drop off at 80' down to 120'. I had just dropped over the edge when suddenly my stomach felt like it was going to explode. I had to go NOW, no option.

I was very lucky to be wearing my shorty. I usually didn't zip up the back so after taking my weight belt off I was able to slide my shorty down to my knees.

A vision I don't expect to ever lose is me waving my arms and kicking my fins trying to maintain a little forward motion while my bare butt was sticking out and erupting.
sad.gif

When all was over and I got back to a regular diving mode, I look over and see all these fish around. Apparently they thought I had just chumbed some lunch for them. At that point I lost my desire to shoot any of them and started back.

I decided to share this unusual moment for a couple of reasons. First off I don't mind giving someone a good laugh at my expense but I also wanted to show that these basic bodily functions don't stop because we are diving. This could happen to anyone.
11.gif

Adventure-Ocean

Sounds like a GoPro moment to me.

I had some close calls when we used to go out on skin dives of greater than 2 hours.

It seems a number of us have observed that in general, diving seems to supress the need to have a bowel movement. Whenever we have had that slight sensation that an opportunity was coming it would get supressed and be fine until well after the dive. Mention of this in the medical forum was ignored but could there be something akin to the mamailian breathing reflex that kicks in while in the water, I don't know.

Of course when travelling, drinking local fluids and odd foods all bets are off.
[-]
If I am reading you right I admire your ability to pull this off on a significant breathold dive.[/-]

Pete

Amazingly, in over 400 dives I've never had even an inkling of having to go. I try to take care of everything before the dive, but still....

Started getting 'that feeling' toward the end of a dive once. Upon exiting the shore dive I beat feet toward the dive shop and had someone pull my wetsuit off my shoulders (more of a demand than a request.) All's well that end's well, but I did not enjoy the experience.

**it happens.

There is a horrible video of the Warhammer Maneuver on YouTube. I don't think I will post it here.

barf.jpg

Occasionally I have had to go, and each time it's occured I've been lucky enough to be diving in dive shorts and a lavacore shirt. Find yourself a secluded spot, get negative, undo the crotch strap, drop the trunks and do what you gotta do. Bonus points if you can find and use the head in a wreck :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom