Kirby Morgan helmet diving in L.A?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I will travel to L.A. next week. I'm not an active diver and I don't have a licence, but i'm looking for a possibility to try out diving with a Kirby Morgan helmet. Under save conditions of course. I've seen videos about such public diving events on youtube.

Is there any chance to finde someting like that?

Thank you very much!

Hello guys.

I will travel to L.A. next week. I'm not an active diver and I don't have a licence, but i'm looking for a possibility to try out diving with a Kirby Morgan helmet. Under save conditions of course. I've seen videos about such public diving events on youtube.

Thank you very much!

WOW don't know where to start. How about this one for starters: A used Kirby will set you back somewhere in the 3K range

Nowhere close to L.A but Dick Rutkowski used to run Mark 5 dives in Key Largo, many years ago, not sure if he still does. Don't know about the chance of doing it being a non-diver but I'm sure a quick google search will answer that.

I was at a water park near Playa del Carmen, Mexico, and they had a hard-hat dive. Being warm water, you wore a swim suit, and they supplied you with booties. You climbed down a ladder, and when just your head was above water, they set a plastic hard hat over your head. You then climbed down to the bottom (maybe 15 feet at a guess) and walked around a course following and holding onto a handrail, while a hose pumped air into the helmet and a scuba diver fed the fishes to bring them close. No diving experience or certification was needed, and you could wear glasses if you needed them. It was kind of cool, as I was not yet a scuba diver.

On another occasion, I think I was at Stuart Cove's in the Bahamas, and I rode what I can only describe as an underwater motorcycle with a plastic hard-hat helmet. The depth was fixed by a rope tied to a float, but you could steer and change the speed. We were near a reef, and again, a scuba diver fed the fishes to bring them close.

Neither of these is the same as "real" hard-hat diving, but for a non-diver they allow you to spend some time underwater, at very shallow depths, while supplying you with air, and required no diving experience or lessons.

Hello guys.

Thank you very much!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
???Many places call it snuba ??? quote from a modern late model tube sucking bubble blower
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not an active diver and I don't have a licence, (?)

These two factors could possibly create a huge problem

The entire Kirby Morgan factory has moved to Santa Maria California. Santa Maria is approximately 200 miles north of the los Angeles area, about a 3-5 hour drive or 45 minute airplane commute.

Mike von Alvensleben ( Aka Mike Von) is a vintage NAUI instructor with several several tours as a SEAL in V/N is the director of training and frequently conducts classes for first responders.

The facility is fully equipped with class rooms, a 20 foot deep indoor training pool and a shower.

You will possibly need a wet suit & fins and a medical clearance. My son Dr. Sam IV who is a hyperbaric doctor is located a few miles from the facility and teaches dive medicine at KM.

If still interested it is suggested that you contact Mike von at KM

If you become excited about KM hats I have two I will be selling in the near future...They are not inexpensive!

Dr Sam 111

Nowhere close to L.A but Dick Rutkowski used to run Mark 5 dives in Key Largo, many years ago, not sure if he still does. Don't know about the chance of doing it being a non-diver but I'm sure a quick google search will answer that.

He still does. Some friends of mine went last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom