Boat Diving rules/hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PantherDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven't been on a boat since my AOW cert 4 years ago. I usually stick to rivers and quarry's. I remember everything was a blur on those dives and I'm sure I broke lots of rules and might of annoyed a few people. I was wondering if the more experienced people could list those cardinal rules of diving off boats. Also, I tend to get sick :yuck::yuck: best non-medicine methods?!

- Whilst making the final ascent- always always always watch the ladder intently as you approach. This avoids getting a bouncing I-beam of aluminum inserted violently through your scalp and skull.

Stare and fixate on that ladder as you ascend.

- If the ladder is hinged, watch the pinch points

- Move about the boat deliberately & slowly and use handholds, stay low

- Extend your hand to assist, when one is offered to you, accept it. This is not a signal of your sexual orientation or less than manly status.

- Get all your crap together and keep it tucked-in and away

- Be quiet & listen-up during the dive brief, and stop messing with your stuff. Understand the lines that run around the boat for your assistance.

- Get ready before they tell you to get ready.

- Learn to launch an SMB while hanging at the 15fsw safety stop depth, even more important for sea sick types

- You're in a marine industrial environment, not a Hollywood movie. Watch your toes and fingers.

- MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION :doctor: FOR THOSE PRONE TO SEA SICKNESS:

If you suffer from Mal de Mer, please confirm with the crew as to the location of the "lee side" of the vessel. Place your head outside of a geometric plane that extends upward from the "gunnel" of aforementioned "lee side". {If you did not initiate this search for the said "lee side" in a sufficiently expeditious manner, you have a 1 in 2 chance of finding the proper direction even jn your state of delirium}

Feed the fish, yea and verily.

Last edited:
I'd go so far as to say that watching it isn't enough. Stay the :censored: away from the boat, ladder, and anything else solid whilst you ascend. Boats have this tendency to go up and down, not unlike a giant cleaver. They also tend to have lines with floats running off them--make use of those as needed, but ascend well clear of the boat and all that's attached to it.

In similar vein, if you're at the bowline and waiting to descend watch and stay away from the bow. Boats move around, divers move around, and you might find yourself looking away from the boat just as the bow crashes down on the head of what will soon be the corpse formerly known as you.

Especially on big diveboats, do not find yourself post-dive on the stern swim platform while another diver is climbing the transom ladder above you (i.e. A falling hazard that would invariably land on you below).

Assume and expect every geared-up diver with mounted cylinders waiting to splash-in to suddenly pivot around and bash you upside the head with their tank, as you bend over to retrieve equipment in your kit bag. . .

I liked Doc's complete offering and endorse it heartily. Lecter's follow up, very noteworthy.

I'll emphasis, keep your stuff as close to you as possible. Don't creep into others' space with your stuff. Keep whatever you can under seat beneath you and/or in a wrack immediately above you. Keep your weight belt on the floor beneath you tucked behind your feet. Don't leave them willy nilly in areas we here others may walk. DON'T keep your weights on the seat next to you; again keep them on the floor behind your own feet.

If you are wearing your weight belt and it is not time to gear up - why are you? Don't walk around with your weight belt on. Definitely do not sit on the gunwhales of the boat if wearing your weight belt.

Do be considerate of others in all ways.

Be friendly, courteous, interested to boat crew and fellow divers.Don't complain about anything unless it's something that is a danger to yourself or others.

Don't bring a big beegeesus dive bag onto a small boat.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 04:39 AM ----------

If you must smoke, do so away from others and not anywhere near their gear! Make sure smoke is blowing away from the boat.

On the principle that whenever I proffer advice to anyone they immediately do the opposite, here are my tips;

1. Bring every single stick of dive gear you own. You never know when that burst SPG that you've never quite gotten round to flinging in the bin might be useful.

2. A huge bag or better yet a box (boxes take up the same space, empty or full) is the perfect transport for ALL your kit, including your weight belt.

3. Remember, your bag or box is only for transportation of gear, once on the boat you need to get it out of the bag and smear that stuff around. Use it to stake out your territory on the bench.

4. If you don't have enough bench space wait until the person next to you goes diving and claim theirs too. Be sure to get back on the boat before them though and make sure you plop your most expensive and fragile kit (a camera rig and strobes is ideal) onto the bench where they were sitting before the dive. When they get back on board and would like to sit down, ignore any questions as to "who owns this camera rig?"

5. You might find sitting in your space is a bit awkward with all your stuff there too. Give yourself more room by dripping equipment off onto the deck all the way from the ladder to the bench after your dive. You can safely leave it there until you need to kit up for the next dive. Anyone tripping over it should simply watch where they are going.

6. Ensure any bottled lubricants you might have for seals are non water-soluble. These make it easier to get your seals off post dive and any spills onto the deck add comedy value to the day.

7. Dry kit such as clothes, towels and footwear are best stowed in doorways and passages for your ease of access. Anyone who drips on your stuff or kicks it out of their way is just a meanie and should be glared at.

8. Do watch people struggle with putting on equipment but don't forget to demand assistance for yourself.

9. No-one has heard your great diving stories before. Be sure to correct that.

10. Bananas are bad.

I have found it useful to keep your regulator in your mouth and mask on your face while exiting the water, e.g. on the ladder. Diver have been known to fall off or thrown off by a sudden rise. I read on ScubaBoard how one lady was thrown with such force she did a one and a half flip in the air before hitting the water...she said she was thankful to have had her regulator still in her mouth when she hit the water.

Apart from doing the exact opposite of the hilarious post by Hickdive, Please do not flush the marine head while I'm doing deco.....That will result in a crappy day for all involved:)

. . .
- Be quiet & listen-up during the dive brief, and stop messing with your stuff. Understand the lines that run around the boat for your assistance.

As I recall, this was the one that took me way too many boat dives to finally learn to obey. I'd listen, but by the time I got in the water I had forgotten much of what was said. I just didn't absorb it because I was too concerned about my gear and all the other things a new diver worries about. Now, I pay attention as though the person were telling me what would be on the final exam at school. If they draw a diagram of the dive site on a whiteboard, I study it.

When you see people kitting up, don't just sit around and watch. Start getting yourself ready too. If you're on a small boat and you think you're going to need extra time to get ready, then don't sit next to the entry/exit point.

Back
Top Bottom