Weight calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepebeto

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I weight 165 and I usually use 8 pounds with a 3 mm suit in salt Water. How much should I add with a 5mm suit?

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Not all 5 mm suits are created equal. I had an old 5mm semi-dry that took as much weight as my 7mm hyperstretch.

The technical answer is enough to offset your volume increase with the thicker neoprene. Roughly speaking that depends on your surface area. An 165 pound short round person has less surface area than a 165 pound long skinny person.

I could throw out a ball park number but best to do a real weight check.

Put your wetsuit in a mesh bag and add weights until it sinks.......that's how much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people say 3lbs per mm of suit, but the real way to do it is either do what ^^^^^ he said, or get in it and do a weight check.

Put your wetsuit in a mesh bag and add weights until it sinks.......that's how much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that true or are you joking?

How much allowance for high body fat vs. low body fat? Fresh or Salt water?

Is that true or are you joking?

How much allowance for high body fat vs. low body fat? Fresh or Salt water?

Body fat has little to do with the process. The OP already knows how much lead to wear with a 3mm in saltwater....so if the OP does the bag and weights trick with the 3mm suit, and does it again with the 5mm suit, the differance in bouyancy will be obvious.

IE: 3mm= 6lbs to sink
5mm= 12lbs to sink

=ADD 6lb for a 5mm suit.

The OP already knows how much lead to wear with a 3mm in saltwater....so if the OP does the bag and weights trick with the 3mm suit, and does it again with the 5mm suit, the differance in bouyancy will be obvious.

IE: 3mm= 6lbs to sink
5mm= 12lbs to sink

=ADD 6lb for a 5mm suit.

What you said makes sense. But that is NOT what the poster said. They merely said to find the amount to sink the 5mm and that was the ammount. No mention of comparing to what it took to sink just the 3mm.

After making any changes in your gear, do a weight check for the reasons others have explained.

I, too, weigh 165 pounds and dive with 8 pounds in a 3 mm suit (size medium-large), so from personal experience when I switch to my 5 mm suit my GUESS is you will decide that about 14 pounds works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom