Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks are never an investment but around here most will recommend steel tanks unless you are expecting a lot of hot wet fills where you would run into rust issues.

A less heavy tank means a heavier belt (or heavier weight pockets).
Guess which one of the options is more comfortable.

1) neutral tanks are good when you carry them as extras: One or two heavy tanks e.g. on your back, and one or more neutral ones for extended bottom time (stage cylinders) or other gasses. Common in "technical" diving.
2) neutral tanks are good if you do not need neoprene but dive in swimming suit only
3) a neutral large tank is always better than SpareAir(tm) :D

Can someone give me some input on the neutral buoyancy aluminum tank is it a good investment

You can uses a common Al80 and put 4 pounds on the cam bands or in trim pockets and get the same result. That being said I wouldn't pay a premium on each cylinder you buy just to have it be heavier and less buoyant.

As for the AL80 in the first place read here.

Pete

what they said, the only tanks that can be considered an investment are used steels and that is only because they will retain their value, but you still have maintenance costs on them so it isn't a true "investment". Where are you located? Check craigslist, usually have tanks on there, if you're considering neutral 80's, the infinitely better decision is to find some LP72's in good shape and grab them for $50 each since they are basically like neutral buoyancy 80's

A less heavy tank means a heavier belt (or heavier weight pockets).
Guess which one of the options is more comfortable.

1) neutral tanks are good when you carry them as extras: One or two heavy tanks e.g. on your back, and one or more neutral ones for extended bottom time (stage cylinders) or other gasses. Common in "technical" diving.
2) neutral tanks are good if you do not need neoprene but dive in swimming suit only
3) a neutral large tank is always better than SpareAir(tm) :D

Neutral tanks are good for sidemount and stages. They're also good for people who don't like to have weight "far" from their center of gravity. Putting on a weight harness is quite comfortable actually, while having a tank that is 5kg negative isn't very comfortable when swimming on your side, it tends to have what I'd call a "turtle on its back effect", same thing as a turtle on the ground, but you'll be underwater.

The lift provided by 2 al tanks while sidemounting is a really nice feeling.

Of course, if you're gonna put 10kg on your waist and use al tanks, prepare for some terrible back-ache. I've been using 9kg for the last few dives, diving neutral tanks, there were only 3kg on the weight belt, no bad trim (although that's much more diver-related than people like to admit), or painful back.

Also, to keep into account, depending how much you care about your tanks, al are more resistant to corrosion, no need to paint them, etc.

Cheers.

Oh my bad, I thought he was referring to standard s80 tanks, not al80N.

Tanks are never an investment but around here most will recommend steel tanks unless you are expecting a lot of hot wet fills where you would run into rust issues.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

Factors:
frequency of diving
cost of rentals
cost of VIP / hydro

How does TCO stack up against rental? If amortized costs of tanks including maintenance is less than rental cost, yes, it is a good investment.

Investment in the sense of buy now sell later? That presumes frequency of diving (the tank contemplated) and is therefore already considered.

I don't think the OP is looking to become a speculator or trader in tanks, and to the extent I am correct much of the residual value discussion is moot / irrelevant. The other questions are MUCH more important to the decision.

Of course, all of the above assumes SUITABILITY of the considered tank to purpose, but that naturally requires a different focus of discussion (and really just comes back to frequency of diving the tank contemplated anyway).

I currently have 4 x AL80, 2 x HP100 and 1 x HP117. The only tank that has not pair for itself relative to rental is the HP117, and that is only because I bought it near the end of last season. Give it a chance! It has literally not had time to pay for itself. I will likely shed 2 of the AL80s this summer. Whatever I get for them is bonus as they are already long paid for on a TCO basis.

Back
Top Bottom