Let's hear YOUR shark tale!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Fellow divers,

Absolutely fascinated with sharks....and would love to hear about your encounters. What? Where? How Big? what did it do?

Tell your story....

Was in Nassau. First dive after receiving my Scuba Diver Cert we went to Bahama Momma. About 25 reef sharks. Jumped right in. Sharks everywhere. It was awesome. Some were with reaching distance. They are so beautiful.

We were in Port Aransas Tx and I found myself in a terrifying situation! I was in the jaws of a Great White (probably 15-18 feet in length) and my wife and two children were witnessing this. After about 10 minutes of shear terror my wife told me to stop clowning around with the display and come inside the store. :frown:

We were in Fiji at a dive site called "Breath Taker". We drifted through the bommies and, at about 80', I saw about 4 sharks circling in distance. The dive master, very excited by this point, corrected me and said there were 8! We all grabbed onto some rocks and watched as the 7'-8' sharks circled, waiting for prey to come through on the current. It was only after I got back on the boat before I was told that they were bull sharks. Yikes and cool -- all at once!

Mako ..........New Zealand
Bronze whalers
Oceanic silvertip
blue
blacktip ...all in Australia
Whalesharks Thailand
bullsharks
hammerhead Mexico
thresher & tiger Bali

There have to be others, but those are the ones that stand out.

Im saving up for the whites in Guadalupe next year

I was on a wreck off Virginia known as "the Lear", and was keeping an eye on Stan as he rummaged around in some wreckage. We had seen sharks in the area and I had an uncocked speargun for fending. The Lear is a known shark wreck.

Luis was behind me and started tapping me on the shoulder very rapidly. I turned and saw a bull shark about to pass less than a foot away from me. I gave him a tap in the side with the gun butt to let him know that getting that close was not free. There were plenty of additional sightings, but that was the closest any of the sharks got.

They get curious about the ugly critters on their turf.

Don Burke:
I was on a wreck off Virginia known as "the Lear", and was keeping an eye on Stan as he rummaged around in some wreckage. We had seen sharks in the area and I had an uncocked speargun for fending. The Lear is a known shark wreck.

Luis was behind me and started tapping me on the shoulder very rapidly. I turned and saw a bull shark about to pass less than a foot away from me. I gave him a tap in the side with the gun butt to let him know that getting that close was not free. There were plenty of additional sightings, but that was the closest any of the sharks got.

They get curious about the ugly critters on their turf.

You do realize that smacking a shark in the side like that is much more likely to cause a negative reaction (ie bite) than just letting it pass by? You are right, it was just being curious and smacking it is asking for needless trouble. Sharks rarely (if ever)attack a scuba diver in an unprovoked incident. Smacking it in the side sounds like provoking to me...count yourself lucky it didn't turn around and "smack" you back.

Back
Top Bottom