Going to be new to the Diving World.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bassdeer

New
Reaction score
Hi, Just found the site and happy to be here. My wife and I are going to get certified this summer. I'm just trying to come up with the best way to outfit us with equipment without spending a fortune. Being new to this world and not knowing a thing about it maybe some of you more experience divers can give me some input. I was thinking of going with used stuff but someone told me you don't know what your getting, this may be true but there must be some good used stuff out there. Or should I just drop the hammer and get all new at my local dive shop. What do you think of this equipment a guy has for sale for $500.00 Not sure how old it is or even if it's good equipment. Thanks for any help. Dave

Equipment list
Dacor Rig II BC Med
Mobby Dry Suit Large
Under for Dry Suit Large
Dacor Wet Suit Large
Dacor Dive Skin Large
Dacor Reg 1st stage Aqualung 2nd Dacor Dacor SPG, BC
holes and Dry Suit holes
Twinjet Fins Large
Dacor Sporter Dive Computer
Dacor Mask with purge
Dive knife
Main Dive light
2 backup dive lights
Dive charts
Small Dive reel
25lb lift bag
Dive bag for all the gear
5mm dive glovers
Dive boots for Wet Suit
12lbs in Weights

Hello Dave,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Ask around locally (where are you anyway :06: ) for someone who can estimate whether the goods you saw are worth your while. $500 doesn't sound too bad.

Laurens

There are only two dive shops in the Twin City's area so the prices are not the greatest. We go to Maui every year and plan on getting certified there. Since we are new to the sport I will be doing alot of homework on the sport and try and learn as much as I can before I make a buy. Thanks Dave

Hi Bassdeer,
Welcome to the board. Like El Orans said, have someone, with knowledge, in your area, look over the equipment for defects, serviceability, repair parts available, and general condition. That is a killer deal if the equipment checks out. Thanks, Rick

Hey I used to live in Louisville Co, sure do miss the weather. The only problem is the equipment is in Ohio.

Hello there Dave,

welcome to Scuba Board! and safe diving :diver:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Hey There and welcome.
First of all what is your rush to buy equipment? If you haven't even been certified yet why not get the basic stuff, Mask and Fins. Most anyplace that you get your certification at will have most equipment to use during your first dives. Than you can go from there. As far as the first thing I would say after Mask, Fins with Boots, and Safety Sausage (I know It seems to be the main thing I always suggest), I would say a long suit 7mm. You want to buy that new. trust me. After that you can start to build your collection. Dive Computer, BCD, Regulator, etc. But first focus on your basic skills, meet some divers, talk to them, Try different things out. Enjoy yourself first. Then all the other stuff will come. There is a lot of stuff you don't want to get second hand. I think a mask is so personal that you should buy that new. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. I do have some stuff now the basic snorkel equipment. We have been vacationing in Maui for the past nine years. I did read somewhere you should rent and then you will know what you like and dislike. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom