Terrible headache after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TikTok

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had a strange experience on a dive. This was only my sixth dive but I have never experienced such as thing before. The dive itself was fine, down to a max 15m in 29 C water. After about 45 minutes I was feeling quite cold so signalled to my buddy and we surfaced. We ascended slowly and did a three min safety stop. No problems back on the boat, feeling fine.

By the time we got to shore I was feeling pretty tired, but I thought it was the normal post-exericse feeling. I got home an hour later and developed within half an hour the worst headache I have ever experienced in my life. I took loads of painkillers but they did absolutely nothing. I had no other symptoms apart from this. The next morning when I woke the headache was still partially there and I had strange feelings in my ears - not pain, but defintiely a some amount of unbalance. I was also feeling extremely weak. These symtoms lasted for a few days.

Any opinions on what could have caused this? One thing I am considering is that I am a very tall and skinny guy, and have problems finding a wetsuit that is tight around my arms (without being too tight in other places...), so I often feel cold water flowing in and out during a dive. Do you think its possible that I was just too cold and overexerted?

TikTok:
Any opinions on what could have caused this? One thing I am considering is that I am a very tall and skinny guy, and have problems finding a wetsuit that is tight around my arms (without being too tight in other places...), so I often feel cold water flowing in and out during a dive. Do you think its possible that I was just too cold and overexerted?

I wouldn't want to guess on the cause or the problem. Your best bet is to contact DAN or see a doctor that knows diving.

Thanks. I am actually planning to get fully checked out by a doctor with diving knowledge before I dive again, but finding such a person in this country is not easy.

Double up on your equalizing when going down.

Kriterian:
I wouldn't want to guess on the cause or the problem. Your best bet is to contact DAN or see a doctor that knows diving.

I completely agree.

I have gone diving with a friend who complained of frequent headaches after diving as well. Coincidentally, he always had more nitrox left over than the rest of us. We suspected that he was purposely not breathing properly in order to conserve his nitrox supply.

A contaminated air supply might be a second possibility.

Anything is possible, that is why calling DAN 1-919-684-2948 or seeing you local physician is important. Hopefully you belong to DAN.

I just read an article about dental related issues causing pain and headaches.

There's another avenue if nothing else pans out?!?!?

Anything is possible, that is why calling DAN 1-919-684-2948 or seeing you local physician is important. Hopefully you belong to DAN.
I don't belong to DAN. Perhaps I should; I will check them out first thing in the morning.

Actually this experience opened my eyes somewhat: I really need to find a doctor with good knowledge of diving medicine in case the worst happens. It has also occured to me that the nearest recompression chamber is in Mombasa, Kenya (a two hour flight away).

The Jan-Mar 2005 issue of the DAN SEAP (Southeast Asia-Pacific) Alert Diver magazine has a very informative article about the most common causes of diving-related headaches. The article is called "Painful Memories" and is authored by Dr. Allan Kayle.

Two URLs where you can find the article:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=68
home.vicnet.net.au/~dandoc/pdfdoc/headaches2.pdf

Briefly, Dr. Kayle gives the following reasons (and I'll leave you to read the article for elaboration of each point):
• mask adjusted too tight
• collar of wetsuit constricting bloodflow to the skull
• sinus squeeze (and reverse sinus squeeze)
• residual pain from old whiplash injuries (or other neck problems)
• cold (feels like "brain freeze" when eating ice-cream too fast)
• CO2 build-up (I used to get this kind of severe headache myself when I was a new diver and didn't exhale enough to really empty my lungs)
• inadvertent saltwater inhalation
• DCI caused by inert gas overload or gas embolism (emergency situation)
• looking into the sun/glare off the water
• migraine.

Hope you figure it out.

Two words--JOIN DAN.

Also, as a med student, I would recommend a checkup. Make sure to let the doc know any secondary symptoms as well (if any) other than the headache. Be as thorough with your description as possible (how long it was before the headache set in, how long it lasted, etc.)

Good luck!

TikTok:
I don't belong to DAN. Perhaps I should; I will check them out first thing in the morning.

Actually this experience opened my eyes somewhat: I really need to find a doctor with good knowledge of diving medicine in case the worst happens. It has also occured to me that the nearest recompression chamber is in Mombasa, Kenya (a two hour flight away).

Two thoughts:

1) Join DAN (as someone else said as well).

2) Dive ultra conservatively. No deeper than 50 ft with air, no deeper than 100 ft with nitrox. And do not max out your NDLs or skimp on your surface intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom