Swine flu???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
As of now, it doesnÃÕ look like the swine flu outbreak will get in the way with a planned trip to Roatan starting this Saturday (including a side trip to CopáÏ late next week). IÃÎ still a little concerned though. Any educated insights?

Thanks,
Dave

Honduras y la gripe porcina | Janpedrano Blog :: San Pedro Sula :: Honduras
TRANSLATED USING YAHOO BABELFISH
Honduras and the pig influenza Until this moment the mysterious pig influenza has not appeared in Honduras, but with the appearance of three suspicious cases in Guatemala and the facility with which the virus propagates around the world due to the aerial transport, it is only time question so that the first cases occur. Countries to the other side of the world like Spain, France and Israel already have reported suspicious and confirmed cases of the virus. In Honduras the authorities have established sanitary controls in the international airports, but the virus has not conducted battle, hardly to " pure ojo" the person could be detected who is carrying of the same, which is a real risk because we have daily direct flights with Mexico in specific. The World-wide Organization of the Health has recognized that podra not to stop the propagation of the virus because already this very extended and that no longer has sense to try to restrain it. Mexico where the first cases were detected has been the major affected lamentably, with 149 deaths until the moment attributed to the disease. Surely the poor population of the country has been affected, since in the United States several cases without have been detected already until the moment are deaths. Surely in the next hours we will obtain major information and the sanitary controls at national level are haran more rigorous.

Fear sells newspapers.

Travellers are going to take whatever risks they are comfortable with in terms of their adventure vacations. Some folks go to Six Flags, some to Las Vegas, others like SCUBA divers are prone to take greater risks.

I would be much more concerned about ground transporation safety than swine flu, and driving a rented vehicle would be high on the list. The roads are marginal, people drive like... well... they drive like Hondurans, and there are no hospitals of the type which you may be familiar. I would be more concerned with things like that, stuff that we just gloss over, ignore, and jump into ratty rental vcehicles... much less motor scooter rentals.

Unfortunately, risk is perception. If one feels, believes and knows that the "risk" is a specific quantatative figure, they have something to base their decision upon.

One must also take into account the health and age of the participants. What may be an acceptable risk for a 24 year old Marine would be off the scale for a Diabetic or someone on chemotherapy. Children and infants? Another factor.

Thus, your question has no answer.

"Fortune favors the brave"

I might have it wrong, but hey .. isent it "just" a flu?

Here in Denmark people are ripping away Tamiflu from the shelves, its a anti-flu medicine that works both to prevent you from getting it, and soften the effects as well.

Were going to CCV in 9 days, and im not worried one bit. Like Doc says, fear selss news papers .. and yearh, its tragic that 100+ died so far in Mexico... but its very young people and old/weak people .. were 3 guys in healthy condition around 30 .. so im not worried one bit =)

Just don't freak out when you fly in. We left Roatan on Wednesday and all the Continential personnel in the airport and the luggage handlers were wearing mask..........a little overkill I think!

Nothing to panic about, but a little common sense goes a long way. I caught a terrible cold on the way TO Roatan a couple of weeks ago that almost ruined my diving.

A smart thing to do is buy anti-bacterial wipes and wipe down the armrests of your seat on the plane as well as any other surfaces you may come in contact with. Also apply liquid hand sanitizer on a regular basis. Note: when you leave Roatan, if it's not in a plastic bag they will confiscate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom