Accomodations for less than a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had hoped to check out 2 different resorts on Roatan, arriving on the 6th and leaving the 15th. I'm booked at the Island Pearl (aka bananarama) for the 8th-15th so I'm looking for recommendations for the 6th-8th.

Since the time at IP will be mostly relaxing or exploring the island (maybe 10 dives over 7 days) I'm looking for something with a bit more diving for the first few days. CCV was my first choice but they're booked. FI next door seems like a distant second substitute but I've heard horror stories about their dive op. Barefoot Cay seems to run a good dive op but they are right by the cargo port (thanks roatanman for the advice there)

Should I look up Subway or Coconut Tree Divers and see what they can hook me up with? I'd prefer smaller groups 3-4 dives/day. Pretty open to options and locations. Thanks!

You can do 4 dives a day with the Bananarama dive shop. 5 dives if you include the evening they do night dives. Groups are small and the Island Pearl side of the resort is much nicer than the Bananarama side. They will work with you to avoid diving the same site multiple times. Aso, Sofia, one of the instructors is a VERY attractive lady...

I just got back from there. If you get a chance tell Cantor (one of the boat captains) "Run Forest, Run" for a laugh.

If you have the opportunity do a night dive. The "String of Pearls" bio-luminescence is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Take insect repellent, the sand flies were brutal.

Rick

Are you looking for something on the south side for the 2 days? If not, try something in the West End. CTD has inexpensive(rustic) older cabins behind the diveshop and there are other nearby options - Cocolobo, either Posada (Los Orquideas or Arco Iris) We did a week of diving mostly with Coconut Tree - I highly recommend them. Plus AKR is only about 10mins. away if you want to do the Dolphin dive/snorkel. Some say the snorkel is better. Our experience was that the dolphins were awol the 1st 1/2 hr. of our dive.

I've been to Barefoot Cay, the resort is very nice and private. As mentioned the back side is in an industrial area but the beach side is very nice. Nice accommodations also. We dove with them, did Mary's Place and then ran over and did Prince Albert in front of Cocoview. So you could do the CCV dives w/o staying there. You're going to need a cab to get to anywhere from there though. But they have a good restaurant onsite also - we ate breakfast there it was better than avg.

Thanks Rick! Will do. So far they've been great on the phone. Booked beachfront bungalow #24.

I've been looking at a few other options. Paya bay would give me some "new" diving sites and certainly a different feel it seems than anything else on the island. Also considering the Sunyata boat charter with Capt hank... though in email he seems a little pushy.

thanks Steve, some good stuff to consider!

In a previous thread, I suggested Reef House Resort (RHR). You might want to check into that, as well.

RHR pix: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Reef House Resort Roatan/

It is light years beyond Paya Bay as a dive resort, which if PB is operational when you visit, will only show you more similar diving to any North or West area.

RHR http://www.reefhouseresort.com/ would be a real change from that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZjNzKaoA4

If you want to stay in the same area, I have a condo about 300 yard from where you are currently booked and could rent it for a few nights. If you want to diversify your diving you could go to the south side or east to Subway.

Back
Top Bottom