Am now a little worried about Utila trip please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Although I tend to agree with the Honduran Congress in removing a president who thumbs his nose at his country's law and who uses Chavez as a role model I am no a little worried about my impeding trip. I am planning on staying on Utila for the month Of August but now I just don't know. I have to fly out of SPS and La Ceiba. I don't want to get caught up in a bunch of civil unrest or have to worry about a Chavez backed attempt at a forced retaking of the presidency. The whole thing makes me a little nervous.
I would appreciate any and all comments from those in or around Utila, residents, travelers, dive shop/resort workers and owners or anyone who can help me determine my course of action. I am due to leave Aug 1st
thanks

Take a warm Calgon bath and relax. Read the other two threads and the one you have previously begun in regards to this.

There are reports there from people who are on scene- absolutely nothing has changed, it's still the Bay Islands.

You are worrying so much about this, honestly, planning to spend an entire month on Utila or any of the Bay Islands might not be such a good match.

Utila and the Bay Islands are best suited for souls who roll with the tide, enjoy the ride, and go with the flow. Type A personalities, people who seek control position, and those who eschew uncertainty are ill advised for life in the Mar Caribe.

Pack your bag, re-pack it and toss-out half the clothes, relax a little bit, then come to Utila.

By then, the media will be on to the next big thing. Honestly, if Michael Jackson had died three days later than he had, do you think anyone would have heard about this?

Come on down.

Go take your trip. Things are politically unsettled, but calm. Roatan and Utila are both reporting the usual state of affairs: Good Diving, Cheap Beer and excellent Sunsets. You won't even leave the airports in SPS or Ceiba. Continental was flying from SPS this morning.

Go have a ball.

Seems our US media is hot on the trail of another hot story- while likely missing key points.
Short of the State Department stopping travel, we're all-in with Matt & Corine at Royal Playa Roatan, July 4-12.
CK-

I trully wasn't aware that being proactive and making sure I had a decently safe trip was WORRYING TOO MUCH. In an earlier post I asked for advice on safe traveling in the area, this time due to the political situation and the travel advisories I asked for a true representation of the facts from those who are experiencing it. I don't think that assessing a situation before u jump into it is being too uptight or not islandy enough to spend a month in the bay islands. I also have family to reassure and it's nice to be armed with a little information to help accomplish that. If someone placed themselves in a dangerous situation unknowingly and suffered the consequences then people would say "look, another stupid tourist who didn't do his homework" telling me it/what is safe or dangerous is appreciated. If taking safety and precaution into my own hands somehow makes me unsuited for the bay islands then perhaps u are correct and I shouldn't go. Regardless that decision will be made based on obtaining information not on whim.

Robert,
In your quest to find out what you can about this current issue may I suggest you look at the other two threads that involve the very same issue in Honduras. There have been some posts from some very nice friendly people that are in the Bay Islands RIGHT NOW and they kindly describe the current situation so people will not needlessly lose sleep over it, not that YOU are losing sleep or worrying too much, its just a saying.
In the end there is of course no guarantee of anything so if yor not comfortable traveling under the circumstances then by all means do not. I understand exactly how you feel, I mean how can you really know whats going on from these wardens messages anyway? It's like when the state department issued the Peanut butter warning in January, I almost drove myself crazy researching all the peanut butter I could just to make sure I did not somehow get hold of the wrong kind. Afterall, In Roatan they may not get the message to pull it off the shelf right away, know what I mean?

Thanks RTB....As of now i really dont feel that i have any reason to cancel my trip and i am still greatly looking forward to thinking of nothing but diving and sun for 30 days. I look forward to reading future posts on the matter as they come in.

I almost drove myself crazy researching all the peanut butter I could just to make sure I did not somehow get hold of the wrong kind. Afterall, In Roatan they may not get the message to pull it off the shelf right away, know what I mean?

Almost? :eyebrow:

Just as long as you don't decide to run for the new presidency you should be fine. Would you mind taking that reg and mask off indoors, though? It's kind of creeping me out.

Honestly, I would not worry about a thing, plus your trip is over a month away, and for sure the situation will be over by then. (Famous last words) Now go rent the Godfather part 2 and watch the scenes in Cuba right before the revolution. That'll get you in the mood.

LMAO ill try to stay outta the local politics. Sorry i creeped you out but a few weeks ago that set up came in handy when my newly "skunked" dog ran into the house and everyone started puking. Anyway changed it to a different but slightly blurry one...(i promise all the pink tanks u see are my daughter Sam's lol)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom