Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bati

Reaction score
Hi all!!!!
I´m travelling with 2 friends to Roatan on April ,we are staying 1 week, is my first trip there and i would like to know if anyone can recommend me the best diving spots.We are interested in spots you can see mainly fish rather than corals.
I searched some hotels that have diving packages but i have a doubt , usually the diving spots of this packages repeats or they take you to different spots every day?
Anyone knows if Utila o Guanaja are good places to dive? You can go by boat from Roatan?

Sorry foy my english (is not my native language) ,hope the post is clear.

Many thanks,

Bati

Hi Bati,

Just got back yesterday from a one week dive vacation in Roatan.

I was staying at the Mayan Princess Beach and Dive Resort in West Bay.

I mainly chose this resort for the dive center located at the resort and was extremly happy I did so.

Anja ( owner ) and DMs ( Adrian, Carrie and Vera ) are simply an awesome bunch of people to dive with and will " stand on their heads " so you can have a nice vacation.

As I stated before, I just got back yesterday so I did not post a trip report yet, but do not worry, it's in process.

Anthony's Key is good for seeing fish if you are looking for an AI.

The reason being that they chum the waters with the leftovers from feeding the dolphins. So when you go out for a dive, while you are off the boat, the captain feeds the fish so when you come back there are fish everywhere!

Most of the Northern dive sites have a lot of fish! Possibly because in part AK does give them encouragement?
600_P8220065_School_of_Tanges_BIBR_06.jpg

Good to see this response from a fellow Cannuck, and looking forward to your trip report. Just booked the Mayan Princess for our first trip to Roatan. Leaving March 22nd. Diving with Anja and the crew. Can't freakin' wait!

Please be sure to post a trip report and any pictures that you may have. Feel free to PM me.

I assume you did the Sunwing Package right?

Hi Bati,

Just got back yesterday from a one week dive vacation in Roatan.

I was staying at the Mayan Princess Beach and Dive Resort in West Bay.

I mainly chose this resort for the dive center located at the resort and was extremly happy I did so.

Anja ( owner ) and DMs ( Adrian, Carrie and Vera ) are simply an awesome bunch of people to dive with and will " stand on their heads " so you can have a nice vacation.

As I stated before, I just got back yesterday so I did not post a trip report yet, but do not worry, it's in process.

Hi all!!!!
I´m travelling with 2 friends to Roatan on April ,we are staying 1 week, is my first trip there and i would like to know if anyone can recommend me the best diving spots.We are interested in spots you can see mainly fish rather than corals.
I searched some hotels that have diving packages but i have a doubt , usually the diving spots of this packages repeats or they take you to different spots every day?
Anyone knows if Utila o Guanaja are good places to dive? You can go by boat from Roatan?
Typically larger stuff is seen off the North side of Roatan. Turtles, Grouper, Barracuda etc. At one dive site - Spooky Channel - we saw all three on the same dive. El Aquario (the aquarium) is probably a given also - there's a vertical wall there and a couple of cleaning stations so you tend to see bigger fish. Mostly you'll see a lot of coral everywhere also - it's typical for Roatan.

The south side is often more macro/small stuff in the coral. Except for the Shark Dive, that's off the airport. The dive resort can book that for you, they don't take direct bookings.

There's a lot of dive sites on the North side so no reason for a dive operator to repeat during the week - we did about 15 dives with Coconut Tree Divers with no repeats.

Trips to Utila and Guanaja are possible but Utila would be an all day trip. One thing to consider is that you would be going to Utila during prime Whale Shark season if that's of interest. It's snorkeling rather than diving though due to their rules. I've never been to Guanaja.

As mentioned above, Anthony's Key Resort might be an option for you, they also do the Dolphin dives.

If you do go to Utila, one site for larger fish on Utila is Black Hills. On one dive we saw 4-5 4' grouper, 6 3-4' Oceanic Triggers and 100+ Barracuda. I was able to get within about 10' of the Grouper for as long as I wanted. Plus schools of other fish. It's also a really shallow sea mount dive - 40-50' or so.

Someone recently posted here that Cocoview may be starting to run day trips over there soon. The SeaGrape Plantation resort diveop goes there also - I had contacted them about it once.

There's also a catamaran that sails daily from the West End to Utila but it's a smaller boat. And that's an overnite also - they don't sail back til morning.

The sure way to get to Utila is via the two ferries, but that would mean an overnight stay on Utila due to their schedules. It's an easy 3 hour trip as both ferries dock adjacent to each other in La Ceiba. We've done that trip from Roatan.

Links to everything I've named:

Coconut Tree Divers - PADI 5-Star IDC Dive Resort on Roatan, Honduras
Roatan Shark Dive
All Inclusive Roatan Resort & Roatan Diving | Anthony's Key Resort

Ferry between Roatan & Utila daily with Capt Vern on the Nina Elisabeth II Catamaran
Safeway Maritime Ferry - Roatan to La Ceiba
Utila Princess Ferry | Utila Guide Honduras

Last edited:
Thanks all for your answers!!!!!!!!
Special thanks for "Diversteve" for the extense and details of your reply!!!!

Thanks again,

bati

My favorite dive site in the Anguilla wreck. The groupers there are huge, and literally come up to you to be stroked. The Eel that lives on the deck of the wreck is also not afrain of anyone. Combine that with the wreck itself, it was my fav. dive in the two years I have been diving in Roatan.

We stayed at Anthony's Key Dec 26-JaN 2. As has been said lots of groupers, turtles and other fish. The corals are beautiful there. I did 18 dives when there without doing the same site twice during the day. Did do 1 repeat on a NewYears Eve night dive though. AKR also goes to the south side of the island one day a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom