Trip Report: Deep Blue Resort, Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I would like to note a few things prior to the report... This was my first time to Deep Blue Resort Utila, however I have been to Utila several times previously. Additionally, for comparison sake, I have previously stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel, Buddy Dive Bonaire, Fantasy Island Roatan, Bay Island Beach Resort Roatan, and several smaller known places as well.

I'll forgo the deep detaisl of the resort as you can find that most anywhere including the Deep Blue Resort website, but the place offers considerable more isolation than anywhere I have visited previously. There is a benefit to this given the way the town of Utila has grown in loud motorbike population as of lately. For my week of off-season stay it was just me and one other diver for 5 of the days, and we were joined on another two days by one other person. I must say it was quite nice having essentially an entire resort to myself!

I arrived on the evening ferry just in time for a nice sunset cruise to the resort.

image-657.JPG

Edin (sp?) is your taxi driver/boat captain for the times you need a ride back to town. I used his services several times but tried to do it when it was already shuttling staff to/from town. On particular time I asked him to pick me up later in the evening so that I may visit old friends and have a few drinks. He was accomodating, waiting for me at the dock of a seaside bar. I do not believe I was charged for this, but I certainly gave Edin something on the spot to hopefulyl make it worth his time. When I arrived in Utila he assisted with loading my bags off the dock, and when it came time leave he showed good boat skills. There was quite a surf kicking in town and he managed the smaller skiff very well considering the conditions.

When you pull into Deep Blue, this is your entrance:

image-663.JPG

Thier dock is the long one facing us, with the skiff that takes you to town and back tied up at the far side. On the right side of the dock is the gear locker and dunk tanks. The neoprene dunk tank was pink with sterilized water.

image-660.JPG

To the left is more dunk tanks, a mechnicals room, and the dive log board which was updated daily.

image-659.JPG

A small path leads you away from the dock unto the official welcome of the resort. This path unfortunately has the only flowers of the resort. I have difficulty finding things to criticize Deep Blue Resort about, but this is one area. Call me old fashioned, but when I leave the dead of winter of the midwest for the Caribbean I want to see beautiful tropical flowers scatttered everywhere. I will give them a nod for palm trees and general landscape attention. The grounds were maticulously maintained and packed with both old growth and new growth palm trees. I just wish they had more flowers.

image-680.JPG

The pathway was raked daily, as were all the grounds.

image-679.JPG

Eventually the pathway opens up to the ocean.

image-675.JPG

The view was magnificient. Each rooom was awarded the same priceless view of an open ocean constantly gentlely cresting upon the rocks right below your balcony. On clear days you were also given the moutains of Honduras as a backdrop to the ocean sunrise and clear evening you saw the lights from La Cieba.

image-671.JPG

The view, from the waterfront, looking back onto my room.

image-677.JPG

The rooms were comfortable. My AC unit kept my room cool when I choose to run it, hot water was available anytime I needed it to be, and we only lost power briefly once but Deep Blue has its own generator for back-up purposes so we were back online within minutes. I saw no insects of any sort, but that was likely as a result to the little lizards in my bathroom. Keep up the good work guys! LOL.

And a view of the resort from the water.

image-672.JPG

I made a video that starts from the welcome sign and shows the pathway walk to the waterfront. You can view the youtube view right here.

Just off the dining area/bar/lounge/internet area is an outdoor patio. It was the ideal location to enjoy a fantastic view with a few beers and friends. The wireless internet worked out here as well.

image-681.JPG

The food was above average. Susan and the kitchen staff made great efforts to provide you with a great meal. They are limited only by the fact they are on Utila. Breakfast was simple but filling... eggs, muffins, bacon, juice, coffee, etc. I'm not a huge breakfast eater but it was nice to eat some fresh fruit each morning with a couple big glasses of juice. During breakfast a dinner menu was provided. It was small, but I was always interested in something on it, if not multiple items. Lunch was varied from tacos to burgers and chicken sandwiches. I never left lunch hungry.Come dinner time I was ready to chow and it never disappointed. It was on par with a well done home cooked meal. At no time did I feel I was eating "resort food." You could tell Susan took good care in providing quality meals and she was always looking for feedback. On the first night I removed the tomatoes from my salad. The following morning she asked me if I didn't want tomatoes on future salads. I was impressed. I should note I have been in the restaurant and bar service industry for the past 19 years so I am not easily impressed.

The evenings were spent on the porch admiring the hummingbords at sunset.

image-509.JPG

image-492.JPG

On most evenings the other guests would gather here as well as Steve the owner and Susan his girlfriend/kitchen manager. Steve was always good for conversation and I enjoyed picking his brains about scuba in general and more focused questions like the Utila whalesharks. More often than not I stayed up longer than I expected due to good conversation from Steve and Susan.

After sunset it was the fruit bats turn.

image-533x.jpg

image-526.JPG

Swin (sp?) was our Captain and Marlo was the DM for our week. They performed their jobs very well. Only once during the week did Marlo miss the buoy on first attempt, but I blame Swin for the mishap. But given the conditions for most the week both did very well in rough waters. I have a herniated disc in my back so Marlo assisted me from the rack each dive and upon exit of the water either Swin or Marlo would lift my gear aboard piece by piece as I removed all gear in the water. I appreciated thier assistance in this matter. Marlo was never lost underwater and always had us back to the anchor line at roughly the 40-45 minute mark of the dive. At that time she exited the water, but we were left to swim around underneath the boat to burn the rest of our air tanks for an extended safety stop. On one surface interval I asked if we could go into the Utila Keys instead of bounce around in the ocean so Swin brought us into port so I could walk around and photograph the islands.

image-703.JPG

You may think Utila is isolated... Until you visit it's satellite island population. Wow. It is mostly fisherman which live here. If they were ever going to film "Deliverance 2" these two islands would deserve consideration. You could swap out garbage can drums for the banjos and a fishing pole for the bow n arrow. "He sure looks good in neoprene, don't he?" OK, I'm just joking around. It really is an adorable little civilization worthy of the visit. I'm just saying the genetics on the island are not producing the next Caribbean Olympic sprinter, if you catch my drift.

OK, back to Deep Blue. Overall, this is a resort that delivers on the peaceful scuba vacation. For non divers there really ins't much to do, but that could be said about all of Utila, not just Deep Blue. But Deep Blue goes above and beyond putting you into nice accomodations, feeding you good meals, and dropping you onto beautiful reefs. In that regard I'm not sure how any resort could provide a more well-rounded and personal experience.

Thanks for the pictures. I am looking into this resort and the possibility of tech diving with them. Sounds like the kind of peaceful getaway we are looking for...let's hope they can really support tech dives like they advertise :)

Thanks for the report. I'll have to check back when I'm not on my phone to see the pics and video. We're planning on going there in July, and so far, via email, Steve has been quite helpful. Are all the boat dives guided, or is it follow the DM only if you want to? (just curious)

Great report!! I have known Steve and family for years. Your report is right on......accurate in every sense. I would not hesitate to recommend Deep Blue Resort to any diver who is interested in a truly quiet place dedicated to the diving lifestyle.

Scubamikey,

The first two days I was at the resort a young lady was doing an intro to Tec diving course. I do not have any experience in Tec diving, plus i stayed out of their way since it was technically class time, but I can indeed acknowledge they were doing Tec Diving. I snapped a couple photos of them - here is one such image:

image-141.JPG

Matt, the Tec Instructor, is on the right. The student is on the left. The gentleman in the middle, from my understanding, was just along for a fun dive.

HTH in some regard.

oreocookie,

Marlo allowed us to freelance on our own, but circled us up and got us headed back towards the boat after 20 minutes or so. It was just 2 divers, so I'm not sure how things will change if it is a full boat. It can't be an easy job of keeping track of 10-20 divers all doing thier own thing. Once we were under the boat, usually around 40-45 minutes into the dive, she would signal boat, point up, then peace out. I surfaced around 55 minutes and the other diver usually within 5 minutes after me.

But for our dives the other gentleman I was diving with was, shall we say, "old and set in his ways" and didn't make the DM's job easy. She would begin her pre-dive talk and he would simply walk away and ignore her and mutter "I've heard enough of these over the years..." She would direct which way the dive was going to begin, he would double check with her the direction, then head the opposite way. To make her job easier many times I would follow behind him so she could at least watch us both at the same time. He constantly reminded her he was doing whatever he wanted in regards to the dive... and he did. He was basically solo diving. You could tell she was annoyed by his actions, but didn't show it, but I tried to be as curtious as possible just to try and make it less annoying for her. I got the sense if he wanted to do his own thing that it would not be a problem... the problem was how he went about it. He was just a jerk and needed to learn some manners. He was an attorney, though, so what do you expect? hahaha.... hopefully he tipped well LOL.

I stayed near the DM, but at the same time at no time was I being lead around. Maybe I would be better off saying Marlo stayed near me. Marlo, the DM, more or less hung back and followed me while keeping a watchful yet distant eye on the other gentleman. I honestly wish she would have taken a more active role of where we were going simply because I didn't know where I was going. She did, however, take control when there was swim-throughs or such. She would note this in the pre-dive if she was taking you to somewhere in particular. I would follow her to said marker, then upon exit it was back to freelancing.

I'm sure I missed many topics or points I wanted to make because it has been over a month since my return home. If anyone has any further questions please just ask and I'll answer as best as i can.

What a fantastic report!!

I stayed with Steve a few years back and seems that everything has remained the same and that is GOOD. We had some weather come in one day and could only do 1 dive. Because of that Steve gave us all a whale shark awareness class for free. He also made up the missed dives in the following days. He runs a very efficient operation.

Great review, and I appreciate it. I didn't realize they did tech as it's not listed on their web site (or at least I couldn't find it). Do they have trimix?

Great report, thanks!

Looks like a beautiful secluded resort!

Great review, and I appreciate it. I didn't realize they did tech as it's not listed on their web site (or at least I couldn't find it). Do they have trimix?

I can't say for sure. You may be best answered by sending Deep blue an e-mail to ask, or maybe they will chime in here on the thread. I know their air fills come from in-town dialy, from thier shop called Deep Blue Divers. Perhaps check that webpage, if one exists, and look for info.

Great report and pics! They brought back many fond memories from when I was at Deep Blue last April. There was only one other couple and I on the resort, so it was indeed almost a private island. Steve, Susan, his mom (I forget her name at this moment), were the ultimate host/hostess, and always had some great stories every night. They are so personable that I, also, went to bed much later than I planned on. The food was fabulous! Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures with us. I look forward to returning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom