kayaks kayaks kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Nizz

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So Ive been looking at getting a kayak. I know there is alot of info all of you have on kayaks. I have been looking at the ocean kayak drifter. Do any of you have one? I would like to see it before I buy it allthough I am not opposed to getting a different model. Also does anyone know of a store that carries the ocean kayak line? I lve in Sarasota, Fl. thanks.:D

I have the drifter, I like it but a lot of people consider it a barge, I don't paddle long distances so it doesn't make a difference to me. You might want to look at the prowler, it's a little sleaker. Scrambler XT seems to be popular with divers because of the open space. OK has a good web page with all the specs.

I have a Cobra Fish/Dive. Very stable, lots of storage space but it also drives like a barge. From what I have been reading on the board, a lot of folks seem to like the Prowler.

I think you should carefully pay attention to the OK Prowler 13 or if your a big guy the Prowler 15. Not the Prowler Big Game--the 13 and 15. I think the Drifter is to much like a barge but if your a big guy and carry a lot of stuff it may be the right yak. This is not widely understood but a kayak is sized somewhat to the person and the normal operating weight, too big and it will not settle into the water enough and will not handle correctly, to heavy and it becomes unstable and prone to plowing. N

What is your weight and height? I'm 6'1" and 290 #s and I really like my Drifter. A smaller person would probably like a narrower yak. For diving you still need the lenght.

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

One of the most common dive yaks is the Scambler XL. It is around 12 feet, the Prowler 13 is a fast and stable yak. I have used one. I am 5-11, 185 pounds, just for reference purpose to OP.

I dive a Scupper Pro TW, it is over 15 feet long but fairly skinny. Not a boat for people with big rear ends--McRears! It is the fastest sit on top there is commonly used for diving but it is no longer made. It will carry two 80s and full gear.

DSCF0040.jpg

I have been out to sea further in the Scupper than most North Florida dive shops go out--lol. It is seaworthy and fast.

N

Nemrod,

I have never seen a diver on a kayak, A few shops here had some for hire a while ago, but it didn't seem to catch on, so my question is could I see a photo of the Kayak loaded with that gear?

many thanks
Brendan

Plug, the only thing missing in the photo is the tank which had already been off loaded. I was having serious camera issues that day and only recently got a new Olympus 770 water resistant camera. I go through digi cams like a hot knife through butter. The rear well is shaped for a tank and has two straps over the tank--buckles. I rig the wing and plate to the tank complete with regulator before leaving shore and stow my fins under the forward netting, a second tank can go in the forward well and sometimes I put my fins there instead of under the required lifejacket also seen on the bow. The paddle is leashed to the yak. In Florida if a flag is flown from a boat is needs to be 18 by 24 inches but if flown trailing on a float it can be the smaller 12 inch flag so once diving I just toss it out. There is a small grapple anchor and about 150 feet of line in the storage up front but I usually tow the yak rather than anchor using a reel made for me by a friend. Usually I put the tank/wing/BP on in the water and take it off in the water and then haul it aboard. I have put it on in the yak but I prefer in the water. Hope this helps, it may seem like I have a lot of photos but being solo most of the time does not lend to self photography. N

Nizzy:

Economy Tackle here in Sarasota has a good selection of yaks, but I don't know which brands they carry. Having a sleek go - fast yak is nice, but for diving I'd rather have a slow "barge". They tend to be more stable and easier to get in and out of, and if you get caught out in a blow, they are more stable paddeling even if they are slower. Secure storage room is important, especially if you ever roll it in the surf, or just boarding. I made a cargo net & mounted eyes on mine to secure gear when paddeling, but not everyone knows how to make nets. The two most important accessories you'll need for the yak are good rack that is easy to load the yak onto by yourself, and a beach wheel cart. Carrying or dragging a yak 100-200 yards across soft sand is no fun. Give me a call when ya buy and I'll break ya in on yak diving.

Mike

I've got a Hobie that I love. The unique thing is they have a pedal arrangement that "swims" through the water - I find it really efficient and far less tiring than paddling with my arms. The Outback model can take a dive rig, and is very stable.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom