Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Yamaha 25 hp fuel problem

Barangay Pasaway

uhhhh, huh?...me?

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499

Yamaha 25 hp fuel problem

I have a 2005, 25 hp that hasn't been used for about two years. When I started it, it runs but I need to keep the choke on about halfway, or it stalls. If I keep it partially choked, it runs fine.
    This tells me that perhaps it's got an air leak somewhere else? There is no gasket where the carb attached to the block, which seems strange. I put new plugs in and new gas, flushed all the lines. One thing I notice is that the fuel filter housing is not full of gas while it's running.
    Anyway, I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm hoping maybe one if the SB experts could come up with a simple explanation.
    Pescador? Where are you, amigo?
    "Well, we don't rent pigs...because any man that would rent pigs....well, he'd be hard to stop" -Augustus McRae-

When life hands you lemons, shoot some fish and make ceviche....

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    clean your carb and the bowl really good. They tend to laquer up. My 70 yamaha had a similar issue when I bought it.
    "There is no normal life Wyatt, just life... get on with it" Doc Holiday / Tombstone

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Does the fuel taank have a vent?

Does the engine run if you pump the bulb?

Is there fuel in the carb float bowl?

Is the fuel line to the engine clear?

N

Barangay Pasaway

uhhhh, huh?...me?

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Hi Nemrod,
    1.Yes and it's open
    2.No, it still stalls. It will run fine,( smooth, high rpms, no stalling), if I pull the choke knob to about 1/3 or so out.
    3.Yes, a lot of gas came out when I took out the drain plug screw.
    4.Yes, I disconnected the fuel line into the engine, depressed the check valve and really flushed it hard for about 5 pumps on the bulb.

I did notice that the fuel filter housing is not full of gas though.

Spd 135, I'll give that a try. I've been hesitant to tear it apart. I'm afraid it might end up in the pile of fishing reels that I've tried to fix. I'm really good at taking stuff apart....putting it back together is a different story. Thanks, gentlemen
    "Well, we don't rent pigs...because any man that would rent pigs....well, he'd be hard to stop" -Augustus McRae-

When life hands you lemons, shoot some fish and make ceviche....

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    I think you need to pull the bottom of the carb off nad inspect the main jet that it is clear. Usually these screw into the bottom of the carb and have the slide needle through them. In other words, clean the main jet and flsuh the passage.

There is often a "last chance" screen in some carbs, find it and make sure it is clean.

With all of the weird fuel around today, make sure none of the fuel lines have collapsed or swelled up or are shedding material internally.

Make sure the carb float has not become the HMS Titanic and no longer floats. These sometimes fuel log or cease floating for various reasons, make sure as well the float is free to move over it's full range. Is the float needle free and clean?

N

Rest in Peace

It's the weekend? I'm diving.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    If it were a sunk float, half choke would make it run worse, not better.

Since pumping the bulb didn't make it better, it's likely not a problem with fuel not getting to the
    carb, but "fuel filter housing not full of gas" is a contraindication.

Since the half choke makes it better, the problem is that it's running too lean. Could be too much
    air (a leak), could be not enough gas.

"hasn't been used for about two years" makes me think gunk in the carb. But no gas in the
    fuel filter housing is also significant.

Is this a two-stroke or four-stroke?
    Chuck Tribolet
    triblet@garlic.com
    http://chucktribolet.smugmug.com/
    Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

New User

Has not set a "status"

I had the same problem on a 50 yammie I bought a while back. Get a bottle of seafoam
    ,mix it by the directions, go run the p*ss out of it. You'll think you have a different motor.