Bonaire question: Where to place valuables during dives??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leousb

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I have read around, and still have not decided what is the best way to carry around: car keys, cash,etc,when you´re diving in Bonaire. Have read that theft is somewhat a worry, but still at least you need some cash to go around,digital camera and the likes.

Suggestions are very welcome :confused:

I´m leaving on wednesday ( :monkeydan ) so sort of a hurry!

Thx.

I have not been to Bonaire yet but at least for emergency cash I doubt anybody cares if you risk it getting a little damp in a little drybox. Drive back to hotel for any larger sums.

Camera - I will only carry the one that is in housing underwater with me.

Keys - I would assume they have the type that can come under too? Not the fancyschmancies, anyone know? Pocket, wrist lanyard or known place on beach would be my suggestion.

i basically don't carry anything with me that isn't going into the water, except for extra tanks, shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops

i leave my wallet at the hotel, and take just a few dollars and driver's license, which i leave locked in the truck. i've never had any trouble.

the keys come with me clipped to my harness

In Bonarie I would not lock my truck. Don't leave anything in the truck that you would not want to grow legs (we left our lunches, figuring that if they were gone when we got back, no big deal). We never had a problem, but windows DO get broken if the truck is locked.

Bonaire rocks! Have fun.

pickledboodah:
but windows DO get broken if the truck is locked.

never happened while i was on the island. of course, ymmv

Unless you can get hold of an Otter or Witz case there - try the Toucan diveshop at the Plaza - you're likely going to have to carry stuff in your pocket. The keys won't care, they're non-electronic and most places in Bonaire are used to wet money. Once you clip your BMP tag to your BC it's likely you won't ever have to show your c-card. If you're not taking the camera u/w in a housing, I'd leave it in your room.

fwiw, I've had a Witz Keep-it-Safe case for over 4 years now and it's been on almost every dive I have and never leaked.

I put my truck key, room key, driver's license, and a 20 dollar bill in one of those plastic boxes and stick it in my BC pocket. Nothing left in the truck other than maybe a towel and $2 pair of sunglasses, with windows down.

You don't need to carry your drivers license. Leave it and your wallet and credit cards in the room safe. Do buy the supplemental insurance and leave the doors unlocked and the windows down. Drive defensively - there is a little more traffic now and folks seem in a hurry.

This past trip we used little Pelican cases that fit in the BC pocket for spending money and keys. I never felt the need for more than $40. Will get you a great meal and some Polar at most any snack.

Also carried a collapsable cooler with some snacks water and Brights.

This trip the "Polis" seemed to be doing better at showing a presence. Most trips down south and up north I saw at least one police car patroling.

I purposefully leave something like a tee shirt folded in a particular manner over my sunglasses etc and this trip did not even have one instance where someone rifled my stuff.

We did have a snorkeling bag with mask and fins walk from the patio in front of the room but I placed my bets on another guest and not the staff. BUT - The blame goes on the diver who left it out all night.

Bonaire is a wonderfully safe place. Go and have a great time without obsessing over petty crime.

Thank you all, I´ve a pretty good idea now . . .

Later!

Back
Top Bottom