Rental truck not vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidkon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am happy to report that during our recent two week trip to Bonaire our rental truck was not vandalized. Our villa was not broken into nor were we held up and relieved of our cash.
I admit we may be tempting fate, but in a moment of weakness we rebooked for 3 weeks next year.

I would encourage other Bonaire visitors to relate their positive experiences. :D

Yes well it would be a plus if the police actually did their job on Bonaire. I'd really like to go there but there are so many other places to go with less reported crime.

Yes well it would be a plus if the police actually did their job on Bonaire. I'd really like to go there but there are so many other places to go with less reported crime.

Been to Bonaire in 2010 and 2013 - two weeks each time. Had absolutely no problems and had a wonderful time. I won't hesitate to go back. I love the place. It's totally laid back and you can dive from shore as much as you want for about $150/week. My biggest problem is in the grocery stores trying to figure out what is what in Dutch.

As far as the police doing their jobs, I'd button it since you haven't even been there and have no idea what area the police have to cover and how stupid some tourists are - leaving expensive equipment in a truck at a remote dive site, flashing big wads of cash and leaving it in the room in a drawer. Common sense prevents petty theft and being a small country with a small police force I can't fault them. With nearly 100 dive sites on the west coast you would have to have a huge force to cover all of them all the time. Just don't leave anything you don't want to lose in the truck. You might not anyway but why chance it? Bonaire is a great place to dive and the people are so friendly and helpful. Can't say enough good about it.

It's kind of sad and a sadder commentary that we need to have a thread that documents not being a victim of crime in a country.

As far as the police doing their jobs, I'd button it since you haven't even been there and have no idea what area the police have to cover and how stupid some tourists are - leaving expensive equipment in a truck at a remote dive site, flashing big wads of cash and leaving it in the room in a drawer. Common sense prevents petty theft and being a small country with a small police force I can't fault them.

By expensive equipment you mean like sun glasses, flip flops or t-shirts that get stolen, and by drawer in a room you're referring to when divers have had laptops and items stolen from their rooms that were locked in safes.

According to some(here), you got lucky.........:)

I am happy to report that during our recent two week trip to Bonaire our rental truck was not vandalized. Our villa was not broken into nor were we held up and relieved of our cash.
I admit we may be tempting fate, but in a moment of weakness we rebooked for 3 weeks next year.

I would encourage other Bonaire visitors to relate their positive experiences. :D

OMG!! News flash! ! "Man bites dog!"

:wink:

Leave for our 3rd trip to Bonaire in a month, 2nd trip this year. Parked at remote dive sites like Andrea II and and busy, public sites like Yellow Sub and guess what? No theft or vandalism to our truck! Because we don't leave anything of value in there and leave it unlocked. We've stayed at the Sand Dollar and at a private house in Sabadeco. No break-ins at our accomodations! We use safes and don't leave anything of value out in the open that someone might peep through the window. We're staying at the Sand Dollar again and feel secure there and not concerned about theft while we are out and about. If someone feels the need to steal my $3 old navy flip flops or old gym shorts from my truck, please go ahead, still not going to ruin my vacation. I will admit, I was nervous for our 1st trip to Bonaire after reading so much negativity about crime, but did my research, accepted helpful advice, and had 2 great trips. It's still one of the safer islands in the Caribbean. Can't wait for our next trip!

Bonaire is still one of the best deals for diving in the Caribbean and those who are choosing to stay away because they prefer to focus on the negativity, you are missing out on a great place to dive. But that's okay, less people to scare away the fishies :D

I totally agree.
1 week of good diving and no issues.
Will be back next year.

Be smart, do what everyone tells you to do (windows down) & you will not have an issue.

I love Bonaire, will go back and have once out of three trips had our truck broken into and teeshirts and flip flops, etc stolen.

Such naivete. :no: Don't you realize that you were lucky to escape with your life, let along your cheap sunglasses and Walmart flip flops?

We return to what some on the internet want everyone to imagine is the home of International Crime Central, in less than 2 weeks.

Yup, another SB friend I was diving with on one of my roughly 10 trips to Bonaire lost a pair of cheap sunglass from our truck a few years back, and it almost made me swear off Bonaire forever..................... (Yah, right)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom