Youth BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmezest1997

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is getting ready to take her OW course. She had an intro class last week that lasted about 1-1.5 hours. She loved it and can't wait to get started. The problem is that the BC she was using is much too big. The owner of the equipment says that it can be adjusted to fit her better (Mares XXS), but the instructor that was in the water with her told me that he did everything he could to get it to fit better, but that she is just too small for it. He stated that if she is going to dive, she needs equipment that is going to fit properly - I agree.

I found a new Sub Gear Rebel Youth BC for less than $250. I asked the shop owners if they or I could order something like that for her (I have no problem buying it), but they told me that the only thing that can be adjusted is the shoulder straps and cummerbund, but nothing on the back. They also said that if there were ever to be any issues with it, I would have to find someone to fix it because they wouldn't. They commented that my daughter was only wearing the bottom part of the wetsuit, but if she puts on the top, that the BC will fit her better.

I don't know a whole lot about this sport as we are just getting into it via my daughter, but I feel as though she should have equipment that fits her and is comfortable. She left the pool with marks all over her neck and shoulders Friday after class due to the rubbing of the BC. The instructor stated that it was shifting around on her the entire time they were in the water.

Thoughts? Should I go ahead an make this purchase or see if the XXS does indeed fit better with the top part of the wetsuit and just go with that? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Mariah P.

best way is to get her into a BP/W asap. It will save you a lot of money in the long term as they are infinitely adjustable. Can buy a short pattern plate now with appropriate wing and at some point later spend around $150 USD to upgrade to a larger plate *after/if she gets above about 5'8", but the expensive part will last her a lifetime which is the wing. Unfortunately Tobin does not have German dealers, but will ship directly. I believe Halcyon is the only other computer that manufacturers a short plate, and while they will have support in Germany, it will be quite expensive.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1

Other option is to look into a Dive Rite Transpac/Travelpac which comes in a size that is small enough for her.

tn

Check out a Zeagle Express Tech it will fit her now and later.

Oceanic sells a Explorer Youth BCD in XXXS. I do not know how that compares to the Subgear since they measure differently.
XXXS - Height 4'1'' to 5'1'' Weight 55 to 100 lbs.
$300 sold here:

Oceanic Explorer Youth BCD discounts on sale Oceanic

Scubatoys ships worldwide.

Going by this - a Zeagle Ranger Jr. should be a little smaller than the SubGear also. And it uses their PFS system so you'll be able to change certain components as she grows.

Which kids BC, the Ranger Jr or the Rebel Youth, is the smallest? One measures by waist size, the other by height/weight. Not easy to compare.
Darrick (Certified Scuba Instructor at Scuba.com):

Hello Mia, the Zeagle Jr. measurements are waist 22"-28" then shoulder to waist is 12"-15". Going by my experience the Zeagle Jr. will be a little smaller is size.
^ from: SubGear Rebel Youth BC 822.212.010 with reviews at scuba.com I do not suggest buying from scuba.com as they have problems fulfilling orders in a timely manner if not an in-stock item.

Scubatoys also sells the Zeagle Ranger Jr. so I would call/contact them and ask which is smaller - they're very helpful usually. It's also a heavier duty model - the fabric is twice as tough so it should hold up better. Since it uses their PFS system, some of the components are interchangeable as she grows.

Zeagle Ranger Jr BCD discounts on sale Zeagle
Personal Fit System:

Vest (measure Waist Size) XS-22 inches to 28 inches
Shoulder (Measure Shoulder to Waist) XS-12 inches to 15 Inches

While I agree with enduser that an Express Tech is an option, I think the fixed size of the soft backplate in that model will be too wide for her - it fits most male adults correctly. It's not really designed or marketed as a kids model.

Her instructor is right, wearing the top of the wetsuit will help a little and reduce the chafing. If at all possible the BCD should limit movement of the tank while diving in open water. If it's flopping around, it will affect how well she is able to maintain trim and could lead to it's weight shifting at the wrong time.

Last edited:
I have ordered products a few times from scuba toys and they are excellent. I agree that a Zeagle Ranger jr. Would be a good one to look at as well.

keep in mind cost of all of these XXXS bc's and what the cost to replace them when she outgrows them, also the lift limitations may not support some diving. Skeptical of it because they don't quote how much lift it provides, but saying it is rated for 10lbs of lead limits you to warm water diving. Far better to invest in a bp/w setup that will last her forever and can be adjusted no matter how big she gets or how small she is now.... Buy your second BC first.

She is 10 years old, 48 inches and about 80 lbs.

We have decided not to purchase the one I linked. Even though I don't know anything about this sport, with this many folks telling me no, it would seem a waste to spend money on something that isn't a good buy even if the price is cheap. Thanks everyone - I'll check out some of these other ones!

Over the next 5 years she will out grow a youth BCD.

I suggest the Apeks WTX travel plate with D18 wing or the Oxycheq Ultralight travel plate with 18 wing. The Deep Sea Supply 17 wing with either plate as a 3rd option. The above are BP/W using a soft plate. The harness webbing is cut and adjusted for a customized fit.

As she grows to adult, you just change the webbing and re-adjust. New webbing will cost $10.

My wife and I use the Oxycheq Ultralight plate with Deep Sea Supply 17 wing.

Here's one you might consider also - With the patent pending SEASOFT SEALION BC™, everything is adjustable: the length, width and fit.xtra Small (45 to 200 lbs. 32 lbs. Lift)

Seasoft Pro BC Vests

Lesser known company but they make great boots.

Better price here at retail - $379: SEASOFT SEALION BCD

Someone here on SB posted 8 years ago that they were getting them as a kids bc for a PADI Seal Team they're starting.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-and-a-for-scuba-manufacturers/188224-kids-bcd.html

I think the issue with the SubGear - which is the lower-end division of ScubaPro here in the states so a good company - is that from what I read only the cummerbund is adjustable - actually it appears they just send you both a small and medium to swap - so I think your shop is right, it will be too wide in back and there's no way to adjust that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom