Largest BC's made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a big guy, will likely wear a xxxl or xxxxl wetsuit and am just looking at BC's for future consideration. Anyone know of any manufacturers making BIG biy sized BC's? Also any suggestions as to what I should consider as far as options?

Zeagle makes an 85 for their Ranger, I believe. It is sold separately.

[Edit: an 85 means it has 85 lbs of lift capacity; this is the largest wing I have ever seen.]

If you don't mind going the BPW route, and you know someone who can tech you how to rig it, then that would be your best bet. Deep Sea Supply offers variable sized and variable weight plates. This would take some of the weight off your belt and put it onto your plate, which is better for your back.

Your wing only needs to be large enough to float your rig separately in the water. And by switching to aluminum, you lower this weight requirement. The rest of your weighting you can wear on your belt.

You should be neutrally buoyant at the end of your dive, when your tanks are down to 500 psi. Thus you should adjust your weighting to achieve this. Plan to exhale deeply, when you start to descend, rather than weight yourself overly negative.

You also may want to consider a drysuit instead of a thick wetsuit, if you are diving in cold waters.

Last edited:
I am considering a drysuit, but will have to make due with a wetsuit until I am ready to commit to a drysuit.

I am sorry, forgive me I am as noob as I can be.

What is an 85?

Last edited:
At 330+ and a XXXXXL (that's 5X's!) wetsuit, I fit a ScubaPro Glide Plus 2XL very well.

You just became a favorite SBer my friend. I put off diving for over a decade always presuming that there just would not be gear available for me. I am also over 300 pounds and just recently discovered that wetsuits were available in large enough sizes that I might be able to do this. The BC issue has worried me as I have not seen one larger than 2xl. I know that a custom wetsuit can be ordered in my size in the near 400 dollar range but the BC thing has worried me. I appreciate your input bkfawcett.

I like to think of myself as naturally more buoyant than others rather than as fat.:dork2:

A Backplate/Wing is a type of BC just like a jacket style and back inflate are types of BCs. It is a modular system that is practically infinitely adjustable. There's many threads here in the forums that discuss them.

You just became a favorite SBer my friend. I appreciate your input. I like to think of myself as naturally more buoyant than others rather than as fat.

BigFame, glad to hear! I was struggling with equipment and my weight, but have been getting some great exercise lately, also more flexible, finding gear that fits me (especially for cold water!), and the diving's been great! I think that the BC will fit me for a long time even as I continue to lose weight, but try to fit one at a shop if you can to be sure. As for the wetsuit, I found a very reasonable "Big Boy" from TommyDSports up to 6X for $170, 5X for $160. Cheap rubber suit, but toasty warm, and good enough until I can fit into NORMAL size. It's great to get back in the water!

Back when I needed one, I used the Oceanic Probe and it fit my 300+ frame easily. I did have to have a wetsuit custom fit, however I didn't do too much homework on it either. Check into the 3XL Henderson Hyper-stretch. I think you will be pleased.

If all else fails, go the KISS route, buy a simple back plate and harness with a STA for your single tank and cut your webbing to fit. You can put this set together for a fraction of a cost of a new dangly BC. Once I moved to a back plate and wings, I have never cared for a standard BC since.

Safe diving,

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom