Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delfina85

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all I am thinking of getting a Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD or one similar. I like the idea of not having hoses at the shoulder to inflate and deflate. Has anyone used one of these? What do you think? Positives and negatives?

Hey,
Just thought that I would chime in and let you know that you are not alone. I am equally interested in hearing some reviews of this BC.
:D

Why exactly do you not want hoses at the shoulder? What kind of diving do you plan on doing? Will the people you dive with be familiar with the BC and how to assist you if you have a problem? Will you be traveling with it? Are you also buying a reg to go with it and will you be able to use that reg with another BC should something happen to yours?

These are all things you need to consider. When choosing any piece of gear I have a list of items I look for. I do not look for gimmicks like the inflator lever ( which if it screws up will you be able to get it serviced anywhere at any time - I can service all my BC's myself), I look for simple, proven designs that are not complex. Simple is better even in a jacket BC. Another consideration is price. That BC's SRP is $595. I can think of no BC I'd pay that much for with as limited capabilities it has. Back inflate is nice but it cannot be used with doubles, too much padding, and I don't care for integrated weights. It has 50lbs of lift which is serious overkill and will hold 30 lbs of lead that I'd never put in a BC.

There are others who may find this BC useful and cool but those are not enough for me. I spent less on two BPW setups that are fully customizable, fit me (not me trying to fit them) and if something goes wrong the most I'll pay for a repair is 40 bucks and that's if I have to replace the bladder. I can also get two Zeagle Express Techs for less than one of those. With my instructor discount I could get 3.

Hi all I am thinking of getting a Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD or one similar. I like the idea of not having hoses at the shoulder to inflate and deflate. Has anyone used one of these? What do you think? Positives and negatives?
I saw this at DEMA this year and liked the omission of the hose. While I do a lot of tech diving, now that I have moved to Key Largo, the Diving Capital of the World, I think I want to try one! To that end, I have contacted Aqua Lung about a loaner. We'll see if they'll let me actually dive it and I'll post the results right here for you to read. It's important that we keep an open mind to new developments in diving. When I first hit the suds back in 1969, it was without a pressure gauge or bladder. Like sharks we couldn't rest lest we slowly sink! :shocked2: Then, when the breathing got hard we reached back and pulled our J-valve open so we could surface at a semi-leisurely pace. :shakehead: But times have changed and so has gear. If you don't change with the times, the sands of time might simply bury you in obscurity.

I saw this at DEMA this year and liked the omission of the hose. While I do a lot of tech diving, now that I have moved to Key Largo, the Diving Capital of the World, I think I want to try one! To that end, I have contacted Aqua Lung about a loaner. We'll see if they'll let me actually dive it and I'll post the results right here for you to read. It's important that we keep an open mind to new developments in diving. When I first hit the suds back in 1969, it was without a pressure gauge or bladder. Like sharks we couldn't rest lest we slowly sink! :shocked2: Then, when the breathing got hard we reached back and pulled our J-valve open so we could surface at a semi-leisurely pace. :shakehead: But times have changed and so has gear. If you don't change with the times, the sands of time might simply bury you in obscurity.

I like your thinking, Sound like an open minded smart man.

I am new and have also looked at this BC. When I was doing my open water cert. I kept grabbing my snorkel that was bobbing all over the place. I understand once I get to know what and where everything is then it won't be a problem. At the end of my cert. I really knew a lot more about where everything was and then it wasn't really a problem. But to be honest, it's a good idea and being it's not pneumatically geared, it's getting better in quality.

I like it and that is one of the many I am looking at getting.

I actually have one. I also have a Black Diamond and 2 bp/w setups.

I really like this BC so far. I have an extra power inflator hose that I use when teaching so I am more similar to the students' rigs. The sizes seem to be running big. I bought the same size as my Black Diamond and I have all of the Dimension straps pulled almost completely "shut" for it to fit. I could go a size down and be fine.

The Good
The BC is super comfortable
The way they have integrated the tank strap to the waist strap secures the tank nicely
The new surelock 2 makes the weight pockets very easy to remove/replace
The removal of the "tank plate" makes it easy to pack/stow
It is light. Good for airline baggage fees

The Bad
The I3 takes a bit of getting used to for obvious reasons
It is light. Needed 4 lbs more of lead than my Black Diamond
The oral inflation hose feels cheap

Netdoc, I am going to be in Key Largo diving April 6 - 11. If you want to give the dimension a whirl pm me.

Here are my concerns:

no back plate with rubber grippers seems like the tank may tend to slide and the material under the tank wear?

the low strap - wont that get mashed in the boat tank buckets that a lot of boats use?

No beefy handle for carrying your BC around? I use that sucker all the time. Boat and shore diving.

from the back the BC looks massive compared to my balance.

any ideas on these concerns?

At the risk of being called "non-progressive", I favor simple, easily serviceable, shoulder hose bc's whether BP/W, jacket or back-inflate. Since there have been no significant new developments in scuba equipment in at least 20 years, companies survive/prosper by selling elegant solutions to non-existant problems.

At the risk of being called "non-progressive", I favor simple, easily serviceable, shoulder hose bc's whether BP/W, jacket or back-inflate. Since there have been no significant new developments in scuba equipment in at least 20 years,
Don't get out much? There have been a number of improvements over the years and especially in lights, cameras, fins, regulators, rebreathers, reels and even BCDs.
companies survive/prosper by selling elegant solutions to non-existant problems.
I find all encompassing statements like this to be trite, over used and disingenuous. Next you're going to tell us that "you will surely die". Go ahead, we're up for it! :rofl3:

Here the OP has asked specifically for advice from people that have USED this BCD. Yet people who have yet to dive it feel free to jump in with nothing but off topic broad condemnations of the Scuba Industry and a BC that they have never dove. Would that qualify you to be labeled a "non-progressive"? You have my vote.

It is my understanding that one of these BCs is on it's way to Key Largo. I am going to give it a go, especially since I want to see one of those blanket octopi that are rumored to inhabit Molasses Reef. Even though I have seen pictures, I feel that I am in pursuit of the infamous Jaguar Shark! :D

Thanks to all for the opinions! Very simply I am interested in this BC because I think it is a cool new idea and progression. I am a newer diver who finds myself making frequent minor adjustments to my buoyancy. A shoulder hose, sometimes, is not the easiest to make these minor frequent adjustments. I had been told this model or one similar (I believe Mares has one if anyone has used that) would likely be perfect for me but no one I know actually has used it. I would love to hear more from people who have used this BC or one like it. I would like to know all the positives and negatives.

In terms of me as a diver I tend to prefer reef dives, no deeper than 80ft. I also live in California and love diving in the Kelp forests. If anyone has any other BC recs that would be appreciated as well!

Back
Top Bottom