Doubles weighing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be trying my double setup in the water for the first time time this weekend. I have been putting it together for a while now and am looking forward to trying it. I am unsure what I should start with for weight. The rig is a twin LP PST 72's with a DSS Kydex plate (got it cheap). I plan on getting an aluminum plate when I can find on on the cheap. My singles rig I have been diving lately is a DSS SS plate with the optional weight plates with a total ballast of 38lbs including the weight belt, with a PST LP95 tank.

What will I need to roughly drop for weight? I just need a rough starting point to do my weight check with.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Are you diving a Drysuit? I wear 32lbs with a Drysuit and a single AL80 and none with my LP 85 duals and SS plate.

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Are you diving a Drysuit? I wear 32lbs with a Drysuit and a single AL80 and none with my LP 85 duals and SS plate.

JohnnyO
------------

Yes I will be using a drysuit. Thanks for the input.

When you weight yourself for doubles, do you still aim to be neutrally buoyant at 500 psi?

JohnnyO
------------

Here is some info for the fresh water: I use PST LP72 doubles with SS plate and 8 lb of lead. For the same suit I use Worth LP108 doubles with no weight and al plate and with the same suit I wear AL80 and 16lb. and the same suit and 12lb of lead with an SS plate with single LP66.

Boy those PST 72's are negative empty. My guess is drop 9 for the tanks (12 for the doubles -3 for 95 you used) And add 5 for the SS plate you were useing, assuming the Kydex (plastic) plate is neutral. May be drop another # or 2 for the extra reg you will be packing. I'd go for 32# total, and be at 15' ahead of time for the check.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I will be trying my double setup in the water for the first time time this weekend. I have been putting it together for a while now and am looking forward to trying it. I am unsure what I should start with for weight. The rig is a twin LP PST 72's with a DSS Kydex plate (got it cheap). I plan on getting an aluminum plate when I can find on on the cheap. My singles rig I have been diving lately is a DSS SS plate with the optional weight plates with a total ballast of 38lbs including the weight belt, with a PST LP95 tank.

What will I need to roughly drop for weight? I just need a rough starting point to do my weight check with.

38 lbs of ballast + a LP 95 (~2 lbs )and regulator (~2 lbs) implies your exposure suit 42 lbs positive. That is quite a bit.

Determine how buoyant your suit is and adjust your ballast so you are negative by the weight of your gas (~10 lbs) +2-3 lbs. i.e. a total of about 12 to 13 lbs negative.

If your Kydex plate is appropriate for your ballast requirements there is no need to switch to an aluminum plate. If your suit is even +30 lbs use your SS plate without the weight plates.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom