wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmiller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a wide angle lens (no port yet for my seatool) that I can use with single Inon D2000 (no desire to go with 2 strobes at this time). I currently have a 60mm and the Rebel kit lens 18-55mm. Is there something alittle wider I could use that would capture (for example) a full turtle, barracuda, eagle ray? I'm not sure about a 15mm and a single strobe what do you all think?

Thanks,
Wendy

a great wide angle lens that you will never outgrow is the Tokina 10-17mm FE. It will encompass the capabilities of the 15mm and more, but as you alluded to is a bit wide for only one strobe but in well lighted conditions, you can create some dramatic fill light effects with only one strobe.

I not an expert on canon, but I think that there's a sigma 10-20mm that you might look into and also a sigma 12-24mm that's for full frame sensor cameras, so will be a little longer on your cropped frame, and therfore easier to light.

Remember, a fisheye like the 15mm or the tokina 10-17mm will be much sharper, especially in the corners than the rectilinear zoom lens.

Just some thoughts,
John

I love love love my Sigma 17-70 :) :) And I've used it with a single strobe. Anything wider and you really have to get creative with a single.

cocosredyellowfish2.jpg

bannergoatH1.jpg

I use and recommend the Sigma 17-70 as well. Here's a couple of shots taken earlier this year when I was forced to use only one strobe after some of my gear got stolen:

LHB310307-03.jpg

LHB310307-04.jpg

I also have the Tokina 10-17 and this is a great lens too. You're definitely going to need two strobes with this lens. Because it is a fisheye lens, its field of view when zoomed to 17mm is much wider than the Sigma 17-70 (which is a rectilinear lens) when it is zoomed to 17mm.

The field of view of the Tokina 10-17 at 17mm is 100°, almost the same as the 99° of my Tokina 12-24 at 12mm. The field of view of the Sigma 17-70 at 17mm is a much narrower 72.4°.

Another vote for the Tokina 10-17 FE. Here are a couple recent samples.

ISO200, f9, 1/50s
DSC_0062_rawconverted.jpg

ISO200 f8, 1/200s
DSC_0094_rawconverted.jpg

Strobe placement was bad on the first one, so it's got some harsh shadows, but you get the idea

hopefully fixed now. photos above are with 2 strobes. I've used it with one at 17mm, and it was ok if you were careful. Any wider then than would be tough I think

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately these are the only lens currently supported by Seatool. I'm sure they will expand their line down the road. I didn't try my kit lens so I will have to use that in the mean time. Would any of those listed be good underwater aside from the 15mm?

Awesome pictures with the Tokina and Sigma!

Wendy

Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Coming Soon!
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 Coming Soon!
Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Coming Soon!
Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Coming Soon!
Canon EF 35mm f/2 Coming Soon!
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Coming Soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom