Wide angle ??????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chewslife2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:dork2:i just got an SD870 IS and an Ikelite housing the housing can add WA lenses withe the adapter ring, the 870 is 28mm at its widest,will an additional WA lens be of any benefit or just be redundant, using just the camera flash Ikelite recomends a slight zoom out to avoid a "shadow" in the corner so will I lose some of the camera's wide angle capability, and will an external lens help regain this. I'm thinking If the 870's wide angle is going to be sufficient I can use the money better to invest in a DS-51 and avoid the issue of any "shadow " effect that may occur.this is my 1st rig, I appreciate any and all input.
thx
Robert

The Inon 165FE as an example has a field of view of 165 degrees. Your 28 MM native lens through a flat port has a view angle underwater of about 45 degrees. The typical thread on wide angle lens like the Inon 100WAL or similar Ikelite thread on wide angle lens have an underwater view angle of about 100 degrees, even if it is needed to zoom in slightly to prevent vignetting the resulting underwater view angle is still significantly greater than the native lens. Is it worth it, that is up to you. No, going to a wide angle lens will do nothing to prevent strobe shadowing using your internal strobe, you will have to purchase an external strobe.

N

:confused::confused::confused:thanks N
looks like I'll be checking out a strobe first to deal with the lighting issue,and add on lenses later, I noticed on the Inon site they have a Dome adapter that will increase the wide angle of the WA lens to about 150 degrees using the AD bayonet type mounting, so is the ikelite bayonet adapter compatable with Inon lenses or do I need an Inon adapter that is compatable with the Ikelite housing
thx
Robert

If your Ikelite housing has the 67 mm threaded port then you will use the Inon (Type II I think it is) thread on wet mount lenses. The dome port can be added to increase the view angle from 100 degress approximate to nearly 150 degrees approximate. Why approximate, it depends on your camera, it's native lens, it's set back from the port and to what degree (if any) you have to zoom to prevent vignetting. The Ikelite lens is similar to the Inon (which is high quality and hard coated) but it will not accept the Inon dome port for super wide (near fisheye) shooting.

Some Ikelite housing have a smaller 40 something other threaded port, those will use an adapter for either the Inon AD series or threaded series. I know it is confusing. Inon makes essentially three series of lenses:

Inon AD lenses, for small cameras with a typical native camera lens of about 34 mm focal length. Typical use would be something like the canon 570 and canon hosuing.

Inon 28AD lenses, for larger cameras and those with a 28 mm native focal length. Typical use on various Olympus housings.

Inon Type I and Type II thread on 67 MM lenses. I think Ikelite typically would use the Type II (if they have the 67 mm threaded port. Typical use on Ikelite housing and various G9 and similar applications.

The "typical" I gave as an example, each camera and housing must be evaluated for the correct set up on it's own merit.

Does that help?

N

:DYes, thank-you so much
I loaded the CHDK format into my camera today, WOW! sensory overload, this oughta keep me occupied for a while, do you know of a good photo program to use to disseminate the RAW format in my computer, I haven't loaded anything in yet just been playing with the menu's in the camera and the WIKI tutorials and trying to get use to everything, I really appreciate the time you are taking and your input.
thx
Robert

Get DNG For Powershot to convert the RAWs into DNG files.

Then use photoshop, elements,lightroom, paint shop pro or similar for editing.

Or you can try RAWtherapee, it is free and it can do a lot of the RAW post processing.
You need the DNG4PS to convert the CHDK RAW format to digital negative. It's free too.
You can find a lot of suggested free stuff to do the work in the same CHDK wiki.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom