Canon 50D Live View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel Moncrieff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Everyone:

I am considering getting the Canon 50D and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience using the live view underwater. I have a 40D and the live view is not autofocus, so it's really not practical underwater.

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel

I'm new at the whole DSLR thing and haven't had my 50D u/w yet but the AF works well through the live view on land and it should work OK u/w too as far as I can tell (as long as the housing allows you to manipulate the "live view" button and the "AF-ON" button.

hope that helps

Does the 50D AF in live view work like the 450D (ie a contrast or phase method, one is fast but blanks shutter, the other is slow but doesnt) ?

Live view on the 50D is very very slow. I cannot imagine using it underwater.

Does the 50D AF in live view work like the 450D (ie a contrast or phase method, one is fast but blanks shutter, the other is slow but doesnt) ?

Dunno about the 450D but on the 50D, you can choose whichever AF method you want - contrast detection or phase detection. In one, the mirror flips up - in the other, it works the same as with compacts.

The phase detection of the 50D is significantly better than that of the 40D, although nowhere as responsive as contrast detection. To me, using this method gives up one of the biggest benefits of an SLR. But it would work with stationary subjects, I guess.

Vandit

To me, using this method gives up one of the biggest benefits of an SLR. But it would work with stationary subjects, I guess.

Vandit

I'm very new to u/w photography so please excuse me if this question seems very elementary but what are the benefits of SLR and not using live view as you see them?

thanks in advance

mark

The biggest 2 advantages for SLRs underwater are greatly increased autofocus speed (when not using live preview) and consequently, much less shutter lag. Other benefits include the ability to stop down to f22 to f45 (depending on the lens used) thus giving you a greater depth of field (especially important for macro). Also, SLR cameras have bigger sensors and less noise when used at higher iso's. Now, if they just weren't so big, heavy, and expensive...:)

Mel

How is the speed for focusing on land for the 50D in Live View mode? I just got a 5D Mark II, which has this live view mode, and so it fairly good for land. Again, I only shot a couple movies so far with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom