G10 with Inon D2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of upgrading my Oly-5050 with something newer.
A DSLR with housing is out of my price range.

I currently use an Oly 5050 with PT-015 housing and Inon D-2000 strobe. Using the ULCS tray and arms.

Thinking of getting a canon G10 but open to other options as well (yes, I know this is a Canon forum...)

I'd like to continue using my Inon strobe - and thinking of the Canon housing for the G10.

Is anyone using this same configuration? Any thoughts pro or con?

I'm just in the process of trying to decide which camera to buy and what housing. Price is, as always, an issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a g9 with the canon housing and an Inon Z240 strobe. I use an optical sync cord to obtain ttl exposure and am happy with the setup except for the lack of wide angle wet lenses for the housing.

The D2000 should offer the same function. I frequently look at other alternatives, mainly to get the wide angle that I lack, but keep coming to the conclusion that I can't do "better" without spending substantially more money on camera and housing and/or getting a much larger housing, which I do not want.

If you have a strong interest in wide angle shots, you might want to look at some other option, like the Fisheye housing and add on 15 mm lens, but that's a lot more $$$.

I think he already has the strobe and is looking at something to pair with it.

My wife has a new G10/ S-2000 inon strobe.

She is hoping to use the S-TTL strobe function with the G10 on manual but I read somewhere that the G10 pre-flash is cancelled in manual and therefore I'm wondering if the S-TTL will still work... anyone know about this?

Cheers
RR

The Inon 100WAL with dome converter is significantly wider than the Fisheye "wide angle" port by a good 40 degrees, JFYI, and it should be compatible with the G9 but not the G10. N

My wife has a new G10/ S-2000 inon strobe.

She is hoping to use the S-TTL strobe function with the G10 on manual but I read somewhere that the G10 pre-flash is cancelled in manual and therefore I'm wondering if the S-TTL will still work... anyone know about this?

Cheers
RR

Why would you set the camera to manual and the flash to S-TTL? S-TTL mimcs the preflash sequence of the camera. The camera takes care of the exposure automatically with a Inon simply adding power. If the camera is set to manual, the Inon will just flash at a set level ... a low level, because it will expecting a pre-flash.

If the camera is on manual, you should use the Inon on manual too. Your wife will need to adjust the output using the strobe's controls, but the camera flash can be set to it's lowest level to conserve battery and speed recycle time.

Why would you set the camera to manual and the flash to S-TTL? S-TTL mimcs the preflash sequence of the camera. The camera takes care of the exposure automatically with a Inon simply adding power. If the camera is set to manual, the Inon will just flash at a set level ... a low level, because it will expecting a pre-flash.

If the camera is on manual, you should use the Inon on manual too. Your wife will need to adjust the output using the strobe's controls, but the camera flash can be set to it's lowest level to conserve battery and speed recycle time.

She prefers to shoot in auto mode and was hoping to use the camera the same way I generally use E-TTL on my canon DSLR when shooting macro- set manual aperture/ shutter and TTL for strobe.
Unfortunately if she has to adjust strobe output constantly she probably won't use manual and will try to use an auto exposure setting with a pre-flash (to enable the S-TTL) therefore losing the advantage of being able to set a smaller aperture!

As usual in U/W photography there's no free lunch!

She prefers to shoot in auto mode and was hoping to use the camera the same way I generally use E-TTL on my canon DSLR when shooting macro- set manual aperture/ shutter and TTL for strobe.
Unfortunately if she has to adjust strobe output constantly she probably won't use manual and will try to use an auto exposure setting with a pre-flash (to enable the S-TTL) therefore losing the advantage of being able to set a smaller aperture!

As usual in U/W photography there's no free lunch!

The canon uses TTL flash in every mode EXCEPT manual. So she can still use aperture priority mode. Not the same, I know, but as you say there is no free lunch.

The D-2000 has "Auto" mode which produces TTL like exposures with intelligence built into the strobe. It's one of the things you give up in the smaller S-2000, though.

Wanna sell me your S-2000?? :D

You can use the Inon D2000 in "External Auto" with Canon cameras (A and G Series) with the camera set in Av. It may not be the best way or even a good way but it does seem to work for many people. Some may be "unGrateful" but nonetheless many have found this to be an acceptable combination for quick shooting. But, like others have said, with A and G Series Canons you should try the Manual mode for the camera also with both Manual and External Auto modes on the strobe.

You are right mmakay, the Inon rocks, the other, not so much. The External Auto mode is very useful. Good luck.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom