Canon options?

Which Canon option to choose and why?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only had the S90 for about a month now but only used it top side. I really like the small pocket size in comparison to the larger G11. I am planning to get the Ikelite housing because it looks to be much better quality than the cannon plastic housing. It looks to me that the ikelite has metal knobs and a deeper rating where as the canon appears to have plastic knobs. The Fix housing is more than I want to spend. If money was no option than i would get the Fix housing because its more compact and has the wide angle W/ Dome option, something I haven't seen for the ikelite yet (still looking). I'm still playing around with ideas myself though so take my opinions with a grain of salt, they seem to change on a daily basis on this issue:)

I've heard some say that the image sensor is the same between the two cameras so the picture quality will be comparable however because of the lens that the S90 has it makes it better a better camera for underwater photography where as the G11 will give you better top side pictures..... Maybe someone can explain that a bit better as I am quite foggy on the details of it all.

I said S90/FIX. Based on the specs the S90 has a faster lens (f2.0 vs f2.8) and the same sensor.

Since I'm spending your money :) , I would opt for the FIX housing because the FIX housings are compact and so well made. I've got a G10/FIX with fisheye port and it's great.

Why go for a compact sized camera and then put it into a larger/heavier Ikelite housing (unless you already have an investment in compatible Ikelite lens attachment)?

For strobes I would recommend either the Inon S2000 or S&S YS-01. Again compact and lightweight.

I think Patima has the deepest depth rating. At least with the former G10 models, 120m.
For the G9, they even had a model rated to 200msw!

Canon S90 and FIX90 housing. The "whys" are many.

1. Small size and durable and excellent build quality.

DSCF0001.jpg

2. Versatility, can use every wet lens from Ikelite, Epoque, Inon, Fisheye both macro and wide angle and ultra-wide angle.

P6050319.jpg

DSCF0001-1.jpg

3. Good ergonomics especially when coupled with a small tray and strobes.

P4140290.jpg

P6050322.jpg

4. Travel friendly, complete camera, strobes, fisheye lens, arms, charger, housing, camera etc ready to go in a carry on sized case.

DSCF0008.jpg

5. The S90 with the FIX90 housing allow independent control of both f stop and shutter speed via rotary knobs and requires no button pushing and the FIX housing allows full, seamless, transparent interface with the camera almost as if it were a single unit.

IMG_0183.jpg

JFYI below, FOV comparison with wet mount wide angle lenses. BTW, these are hand held, no strobes obviously and the f stop was f 4.0 and the shutter speed was 1/10 second thus the blur, they are for FOV comparison only and no other inference should be taken from them. All taken from exactly the same place with exactly the same aim point. What you see is what you get.

FOV with Inon UWL100-67 with dome:

IMG_1336.jpg

FOV with Inon UFL165AD:

IMG_1331.jpg

FOV with Fisheye UWL-04:

IMG_1279.jpg

FOV with flat port and full wide 28mm:

IMG_1348.jpg

Fooling around in WPB:

IMG_0762_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1011_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0770_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0764_edited-1.jpg

Brought to you by, I, Nemrod.

IMG_1443.jpg

Strobes, I love my Inon D2000 strobes and the only thing better than one D2000 is two D2000s.

One other thing, from my thread, the Great Summer 2010 Wet Lens Shoot Out Extravaganza on the Underwater Photo Board in my signature, a general observation is beginning to congeal in my inadequate brain neuron network:

1. The Inon 165AD focuses right to the dome, winner there and it is the smallest and lightest ultra wide lens. Is prone to flare if attention is not paid to strobe and sun.

2. The Inon UWL100 with dome is the sharpest, best contrast and color, also the heaviest and most expensive by far with the smallest working FOV.

3. The Fisheye UWL-04 is the widest, easiest to work with because it shoots at native 28mm, cost effective, cheapest price overall including mount adapter.

All three of these lenses could photograph a whale shark at 10 feet or a nuclear sub and 15 feet, lol.

N

Last edited:
DevonDiver -- I'd like to suggest adding to your mix the Olympus E-PL1 and the OEM housing with Inon D2000 strobes. This does NOT have the option of a dome port (yet) but there is (or soon will be) another housing out with a dome port if WA is a necessity for you.

The Camera sells for about $550 and the OEM housing $595 and this is with the 14-42mm kit lens (28 - 84 mm equiv) and there is a 9 - 18(?)mm WA lens that works in the OEM housing (18-36 mm equiv).

The E-PL1 does have HD video (720P) where I don't believe either the S90 or G11 do.

Just another combination to consider.

I choosed the G11 because of it's size as i dont like too microscopic things to hold in my rather big hands. I am used to shoot DSLR, so the S90 is so small that i get cramps in my hands from using it...
I also choosed the G11 Patima housing for the same reason as it fit's my hand perfectly and i find that it's built nicer with no milling signs or sharp edges.
The whole system is built like a tank but quite heavy and i am still experimentating how to make it neutraly buoyant. It's not a big issue and i think that's the price to pay for choosing such a sturdy housing and a beefy "camera".

I am very happy with my rig and would again buy a Patima housing or a G11

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom